Home Forum Ask A Member 1946 Firestone Scott Atwater

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    happy-cat
    Participant

Need help, Just purchased at 1946 Firestone Scott Atwater ser# 462-21061. Looking for pictures of original outboard. Need to replace stickers/ decals that where originally on motor. Is dull silver the original color ? Wanting to restore to original condition, any help is appreciated

need2fish
      Participant

3.6 HP, single cylinder.

After World War II the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company contracted with the newly formed Scott-Atwater Company. The Firestone brand of outboard appeared in 1946 and were manufactured by the " Scott-Atwater" Company through 1959. McCulloch purchased "Scott-Atwater" in 1956 and continued the contract with Firestone until 1959.

The Firestone contract was given to West Bend in 1960 and they produced the outboard through 1962. This was the last year that Firestone offered a full engine line.

From 1963 through 1965 Firestone only offered a 5 horsepower made by Clinton. This outboard was called a Firestone Featherweight.

See https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=595&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=jze0WoftCJDljwSrrbqYBA&q=1946+firestone+outboard+motor+3.6+hp&oq=1946+firestone+outboard+motor+3.6+hp&gs_l=psy-ab.3…10477.14132.0.14931.9.8.1.0.0.0.115.714.7j1.8.0….0…1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0….0.VAC01ETAplA

happy-cat
        Participant

Thanks for the link.

ronboonville
          Participant

American Outboard has your decal, Dull aluminum was the paint, correct me if I’m wrong.

happy-cat
            Participant

Thanks for the information. Only part that is missing is the original pull cord handle

seakaye12
              Participant

US Member

Hi happy cat,

I have the 7.5HP twin cylinder version of your motor. I think mine is a 1948 and I’m pretty sure it was just dull aluminum with very minimal decals. They were very plain looking motors.

You might contact Art Dekalb over at http://precisionservoutboard.com/

Art has restored a fair number of the Scott/Firestones of this vintage and will be able to help you.

Great little motors; they run surprisingly well and I love the sound!

Chuck in Santa Barbara

happy-cat
                Participant

Thanks for getting back to me. You are correct about the minimal decals. On my ’46 the only decals are a 2" x 3" fine print fuel mixing instructions located below the fuel cap and a 1" x 10" on the front side on the tank above the selector arm. Can’t read what was there. No indication of any thing on the sides of the tank. I don’t think it has been repainted only because of the stickers/ decals that are still there.
                  What is the condition of your twin ? Can you send some pictures ?

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Here is my 1947 Firestone

happy-cat
                    Participant

Is this one of those hobbies where one outboard multiplies into many. Thanks for the pictures.

Steve A W
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote happy cat:

Is this one of those hobbies where one outboard multiplies into many. Thanks for the pictures.

And how!!!

Member of the MOB chapter.
                        I live in Northwest Indiana

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.