Home Forum Ask A Member 1946 zephyr 4404 5.4hp cylinder question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    topgun6272
    Participant

So I have Another? About this motor it says on internet this is a 2 stroke 4 cylinder motor I noticed I have 4 spark plugs does that mean that it has 2 spark plugs for each cylinder or
      Does tut actually have 4 pistons 1 spark plug for
      Each piston/cylinder sorry if I’m bothering I’m just trying to learn all about this motor

76-j
      Participant

4 pistons…

1 spark plug for
        Each piston/cylinder

Hopes this Helps

Mumbles
        Participant

Your Zephyr not only has one carb, two coils, and four cylinders, but it also has the distinction of being the smallest opposed four cylinder outboard ever built. It’s a little brother to the Evinrude Light Four and a grandson of the mighty Evinrude/Elto 4-60’s of the thirties.

topgun6272
          Participant

Awesome so would you say I got a good deal for $50 ? It runs good spark but only stays running while choke on was told something stuck in high fuel jet under float filter bowl or something I’m still trying to locate fuel filter location

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

those carbs are the hardest to work on.

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member

The carb was designed by Finn T. Irgens from The LockWood Motor Co. There is a film somewhere that explains service and repair of that carburetor. Those are nice smooth running motors.

Mumbles
                Participant

See if this works….

Nope. The link never appeared. Gotta wait a few days for the new boards!

2fast4me
                  Participant

Actually the zephyr has one coil that fires the top cylinders and the other coil that fires the bottom cylinders. It is alternately firing the top bank then 180 degrees later fires the bottom bank. Not exactly what you would expect from a 4 cylinder engine. Quite smooth running. Mine cost me $100 and a parts motor for $25. The last Lightfour cost me $20.00. Enjoy Jim

2Fast4Me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.