Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Sea King motor questions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jimmye
    Participant

I have a 1948 Sea King (I Believe it is a ’48) Model # 94GG9003A, I bought at a yard sale, and had a friend clean up and I used it on a small pond I lived on in Vermont. I recently moved to the Raystown Dam area in Pennsylvania and am putting together an electric boat, using an old 1960 aluminum row boat, 2 Sears, Ted Williams, Shakespeare trolling motors, which will be hooked up to a solar panel on a canopy, and that will trickle charge the batteries to run the old trolling motors as they discharge, having hooked them up in a series. I haven’t run the old Sea King in years, and want to just clean out the gunk and get it running again as a back up, since the lake is pretty big, and if there is a catastrophic failure with the electrical, I don’t want to row home.

My Brother in law tells me to run pure octane through it to start it up. The old guy at the maria who won’t touch it says run kerosene through the cylinders to loosen up rust. It’s not seized up. It’s just been sitting ( In my living room, as I didn’t want it getting cold) for a few years.

My question for the forum is: What would you recommend to put it back in service? And I don’t mind the dents in the tank, but I would like to repaint it.

I imagine high temp engine paint for the motor, metallic silver for the lower unit, and red enamel for the tank? My real concern is that I don’t screw up the engine. Or where do I get a nice vintage maroon?

Do I really need to drain and replace the lower unit lube? It doesn’t seem to have leaked out at all.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if you want to skip LU oil $$$ ….you have a long way to go !

change the oil
        change the the impeller
        change the plugs
        change and clean and anything suspect … points condensers filters etc…
        pull the prop inspect for monofilament

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jimmye
        Participant

And where would one find an impeller for this? I suppose it would be easy to scan it and 3-D print it. Has anyone ever had success with 3-D printing impellers?

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try AOMCI classified ads on this site ,

I doubt scanned and printed impellers would have the necessary flexibility to do the job. Yo may be able to adapt another brand’s impeller to fit your motor.

Somebody here will suggest something I am certain

ask these guys
            http://www.ahlstrandmarine.com/online-s … otor-parts

p.s. search the web… it is your friend

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Built by the Gale Products devision of OMC . . . I believe replacement water pump rotors for the 5 and 12 horse models are being reproduced by an AOMCI member. . . 😀

The 5 horse is very popular.

nabmd
              Participant

US Member

The ’94’ at the beginning of the model # inverts to 19’49’ for the model year. I have the 1948 model, but not nearly as nice as Garry’s! I also have the bigger brother, 5HP. I recall someone mentioning that the red primer paint is almost an exact match for the red, then just put clear coat on it. Just be sure to use the same company for all the paint.

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

OK – the 1947-48 three horse pump was the same as the five horse. . .

The 1949 three was different . . .

jimmye
                  Participant

The one on the boat looks like my 1.5 HP and you folks are a wealth of information. Thank you. I found a maroon rattle-can locally. The tank is dented up but I’ll try to gently tap them out. Anyone ever take one apart and put it back together after knocking dents out? Or is that not advisable?

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Your motor is a 1949 1.5hp. Don’t pay that awful price at m.e. for a water pump rotor. Get one from club member Brian Wilcox at a heck of a lot less money.

email Baron0418@att.net. please note the b must be a capital.

or call 810-794-7685 before 8 pm est please

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

OK – we got it now – same powerhead as the 1949 Evinrude Sportsman . . . 😎

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.