Home Forum Ask A Member 1949 Zephyr float level

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    oldsenile
    Participant

Can anyone assist me in setting the float level on a model 4429 Zephyr? Do you go by the height of the float in the bowl or the travel on the needle?
      Thanks in advance.

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Both,
        Float should be level with the carb body & drop shouldn’t touch the bowl,

oldsenile
        Participant

Jeff, are you saying the top of the float should be even with the top of the bowl where the cover sits?

Mumbles
          Participant

There should be a small groove or two on the float needle for the flat locks to snap in to. The locks locate the float at the proper height.

oldsenile
            Participant

There is no groove that I can see but the float appears to be snug between the clips on the pin. It appears to me that the clip should be about a third of the way up the pin by the dark spot. Would this assumption be right?

Attachments:

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

The float pin may have a groove for the bottom clip under
                the cork float, and the top clip snugs the float, holding
                it against the bottom clip.
                If that’s not the case, just make sure the float pin seats
                before the float reaches the top carb cover.
                The float will probably only have about 1/4" travel.

Prepare to be boarded!

RICHARD A. WHITE
                Participant

Lifetime Member

I may be mistaken but it looks to me like your flat brass piece is already set in the groove on the float pin…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                  classicomctools@gmail.com

Tom
                  Participant

US Member

Slowly, some of the issues with the Zephyr carb are coming back to me…

The float should be near the top of the bowl, but that’s only when lifting up the pin to seat it. So you need to lift up the pin to see where the float sits when the fuel inlet is closed off. Or just turn the whole thing upside down and see where the float sits. To be sure it’s right, set it, assemble the top, and invert the carb. You shouldn’t be able to blow into the fuel inlet if the pin is correctly seated. Now set the carb right side up. You should be able to blow air into the carb fuel inlet.

Another source of trouble with these is the little "hat" fitting that goes on the top of the float pin (after the carb cover is back in place). IIRC, there is a spring loaded lever that will raise the float pin when the motor is shut off. On some models, this same lever operates a valve to shut off the tank vent, too. Anyway, the easiest way to install the "hat" on the top of the float pin is to face the concave part downward. But it’s supposed to be oriented with the concave section upward to capture the pin that goes through the hole at the top of the float pin.

Nice picture!

Tom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.