Home Forum Ask A Member 1951 fleetwin 7.5hp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bugeater281
    Participant

Just picked up this motor and realized parts are super hard to come by. Engine is in perfect shape, perfect compression and leak down. The lower end has been takin apart by someone who didn’t reinstall the seals. Low and behold it is super rusted inside. It’s also missing the clutch lever and clutch lever spring. I priced out a whole lower unit and it’s around 85. I payed 100 for the motor, but I could be looking at 400+ after everything. My question is can I just use it without the clutch? I’m guessing the rope will be a little harder to pull. I’m just in the prossess of saving for a house so money is tight.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

As best I can remember, it will work without those two parts. It will just be in gear all the time (no neutral). That is if everything else is salvageable. I had one of those lower units kicking around in my storeroom for years. Maybe I still have it if you want me to look.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

It will have to have the spring on the prop shaft in place to
          make the prop turn, but as Frank said, it will work without
          the neutral shift lever attached.
          IMHO, that motor not worth putting $400 into. Mine is
          noisy and rather gutless.

Prepare to be boarded!

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

lots of decent motors just waiting to serve you with a minimum of TLC… Bite the bullet on this one

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.