Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Evinrude Big Twin shift rod connector

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just delving into this motor. 25 hp. I haven’t seen this kind of shift shaft connector before. This one’s broken. I have a parts diagram for a 1953 and it seems to have a different connector. Anyone have a 52 parts list? Anyone have a pile of these connectors?

IMG_4840

IMG_4841

trex014
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I cannot help with this particular part but I can give you an idea on what to do if that part is unobtainium. As you said the next year motor used a different shift rod connector, but I know the lower unit stayed the same and the shift handle stayed the same, so get the 1953 UPPER shift rod and connector and you’ll be set.

olcah
        Participant

US Member

I believe this odd shift connector may also show in the Johnson RD12/RD13 parts list on page 12. Can’t tell for sure. I have the list hard copy only. Eight years ago I did buy the whole assembly NOS off EBay for $15.

The assembly parts from that list are (no number for complete assembly):
          301949 nut
          302628 clamp-shift rod
          300258 screw
          302639 spring shift rod clamp
          301915 sleeve, reverse lock

Here are a couple of photos to compare with your connector. Does the Erude connector differ from the Johnson??

davidk
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I cannot help with this particular part but I can give you an idea on what to do if that part is unobtainium. As you said the next year motor used a different shift rod connector, but I know the lower unit stayed the same and the shift handle stayed the same, so get the 1953 UPPER shift rod and connector and you’ll be set.

Thanks for that suggestion. That expands my recovery options.

davidk
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I believe this odd shift connector may also show in the Johnson RD12/RD13 parts list on page 12. Can’t tell for sure. I have the list hard copy only. Eight years ago I did buy the whole assembly NOS off EBay for $15.

The assembly parts from that list are (no number for complete assembly):
              301949 nut
              302628 clamp-shift rod
              300258 screw
              302639 spring shift rod clamp
              301915 sleeve, reverse lock

Here are a couple of photos to compare with your connector. Does the Erude connector differ from the Johnson??

Thanks for those photos and the parts list, Charlie. You got lucky finding a NOS one. I’ll be beating the bushes. The parts numbers are a great help.

davidk
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just noticed your question, if the E and the J match? Comparing out photos, looks like they do.

100_2410-scaled-1

IMG_4840

davidk
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

UPDATE: Found several on ebay by using the part number Charlie supplied. Thanks for the rescue!

olcah
                  Participant

US Member

Dave,
                    I have a junk model 25916. It has the connector. I will remove it and see if it is good you can have it
                    Charlie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.