Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Evinrude Lightwin 3hp ( starter rope size)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cesarp35
    Participant

starter rope recoil size alternative for part# 44a19 is it 7/32 or 1/8? or neither. Thanks in advance!!

frankr
      Participant

US Member

5/32" —– 68 5/16" long

cesarp35
        Participant
          quote FrankR:

5/32" —– 68 5/16" long

Like always, thanks FrankR for the info i appreciate it!!

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see sheet

Attachments:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

cesarp35
            Participant
              quote crosbyman:

see sheet

Thanks Crosbymam, i will save it for future reference.

Mumbles
              Participant

When replacing starter rope, I usually fill the spool with as much as it will hold as it will have to be shortened once or twice to get the timing right. I don’t think any man alive can pre cut it to the OMC specs of a 1/16 of an inch and expect it to be correct as everyone ties their knots different and there is a variance in the diameters used which would affect the length.

Just out of curiosity, how many people here do cut their starter rope to the lengths which OMC specified? Tell the truth now! :geek:

lindy46
                Participant

US Member

. . .Or how many people have successful results making sure the little arrow falls within the range specified on the hub? I set my ’58 Lightwin that way with the rope at the specified length and the starter made lots of clatter once the engine was running. I had to cut off about 5" of rope to get rid of the clatter. That put the arrow about 90 degrees off.

Mumbles
                  Participant

That’s what I mean. Load it up so the length can be adjusted to get the timing marks lined up. It’s a whole lot easier to shorten the rope than lengthen it!

cesarp35
                    Participant

Great info!! i should be getting the rope in the mail in the next few days and i’m glad i went back to this post, as this additional info will sure help, thanks guys!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.