Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Viking OMC 12vd10

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

So I am not mechanically inclined, but I like to try and appreciate the help folks here provide.

I have a 1952 viking/gale product sold by Eatons here in Canada.

For the life of me I can not figure out how to set it to choke. It has the big silver dial on the front, that says left prime right lean but the spring that engages the butter fly in the carb needs you to rotate the high speed needle left to prime to hold it in place? So do I really have to torque down the trigger that sits on the high speed needle to accomplish this. I am just afraid of over torquing it and damaging the needle. Obviously not only will it pull down on the spring to engage the butterfly but it will all enrich the high speed setting, which is okay to start it?

Also if some one can tell me if it should be 3/4 from lightly seated or more or less in the middle position that would be appreciated. Sorry haven’t loaded pictures on this sight for a long time and cant remember how, and don’t have time to educate myself this evening.

Thanks everyone and a have a good weekend.

Billy T

billy-t
      Participant

Thanks Fellows

My set up is shown just slightly different than the diagram attached. The Dial knob on the front is separate from the trigger that sets the choke. That piece you can just see sticking out past the knob in the diagram, mine is separated from the dial and has a small set screw that screws down on to the side of high speed needle. But i guess i can just tighten it down on the needle so that it will close the choke when the needle is rotated left.

Thanks, I will stop being so timid. Usually afraid of breaking something before understanding it.

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

My guess is that somebody has put a 5hp knob and cam on it. I suppose it will work, but never tried it. You be the judge.

billy-t
          Participant

Yes that looks like the arrangement i have here. Thanks Frank

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Note that that is not a choke as such. It is really a primer. A choke restricts the air. A primer injects extra fuel. Holding it in the "rich" position will only drizzle fuel out of the carburetor. You are tapping the float pin which raises the fuel level in the carburetor conciderably. Just hitting it once or twice should be enough to start the motor . . . 😎

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.