Home Forum Ask A Member 1953 Evinrude bigtwin problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    makeitrun
    Participant

I’m not sure why this is happening while running my 53 bigtwin I noticed it making a clattering noise from mid to full throttle. I decided to pull the flywheel and have a look and noticed small metal shavings everywhere. I pulled the magneto cam and noticed the outer seal spring retaining washer had cut away at least 1/8 inch off the bottom of the magneto cam. I’m thinking the spring and upper and lower spring retaining washers spins with the magneto cam right? Why is this happening.

david-bartlett
      Participant

Joe,

I am by no means an expert on these, but you are correct that all those pieces should rotate together. Somehow it seems that the spring is not turning at the same speed as the cam, allowing the hardened seat to wear into the bottom of the cam. Possibly the bottom seat of the spring is hanging up on the casting above the top seal??

You probably already figured this out anyway.

olcah
        Participant

US Member

Look at a parts breakdown. There should be a hard carbon seal below the spring. Look at the top of the bearing and be sure that surface has not been damaged as that is the seal area where the carbon bears. Hope this helps.

1946zephyr
          Participant

Something inside might be stopping the spring, while everything else rotates. Very strange. Never seen this happen before

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

If the carbon seal is damaged or missing The spring can catch on the casting. Then the cam rotates and the spring doesn’t. As noted, the carbon seal MUST have a smooth surface to seal against. . .

makeitrun
              Participant

I Checked the carbon seal, all looks good I can’t see anything to keep the spring from not spinning.

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Where is the wear pattern lay? That’s the key.

makeitrun
                  Participant
                    quote Jeff Register:

Where is the wear pattern lay? That’s the key.

On the outer seal spring retaining washer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.