Home Forum Ask A Member 1953 Evinrude FastTwin 15hp

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

I’ve had an eighteen horse driveshaft break where it is drilled for the drive pin but have never seen a sheared pin, yet. 😕

vintin
      Participant

I’ve not heard that the pin is prone to failure. Wonder how much a key slot weakens the drive shaft Vs a hole? In the service manual for the 1974 Evinrude 40hp, a motor based on the older RD series….it says to position the water impeller keyway pointing towards the prop while the top piston is at TDC to avoid driveshaft breakage. I don’t understand the logic….just reporting it. Doesn’t seem it would make any difference to me but the advice could be based on previous failures.

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is my 15 Evinrude! Still my favorite! Just a sweet running machine and I do run it and try to keep it clean. One thing I always wondered is why OMC decided to abandon the automatic reverse lock in ’55? They also went to the five bolt lower unit. I also have two 18’s and there is not much difference in speed. Get the right prop and that 15 will scoot right along!

dale

Attachments:

frankr
          Participant

US Member

OMC drove their impellers with a round pin for many, many years, with no problem. But I have never seen one with a roll pin. Should be a stainless steel pin.

That thing of aligning the key with the piston makes no sense at all to me. Yeah, I’m aware of the bulletin, but it still makes no sense.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

All the warrantee motors they got with driveshafts broken at the water pump also had damage to the gear case indicating it hit something knocking it out of allignment. The worst damage seemed to be backing into a rock when launching the boat from a trailer with the motor down. . . 🙄

david-bartlett
              Participant
                quote Bob D:

Dave, do you remember the Duplicolor number?

Bob,

Although not a real match, this is what I used.

Attachments:

bob-d
                Participant

US Member

Thanks Dave

Monte NZ
                  Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Lovely motor.
                    Brings back happy memories of my first go at water skiing in 1954……oh how time flies!

MonteNZ

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Garry,

Thank you for the photos!! It’s been a few years from we have seen your Dad Chap! I like the photo of all the props to test in the station wagon. Please post that one.

Yes I enhoyed my Fastwin too, the best designed 1954 on the block!!

Jeff

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

6 years later ???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.