Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 5 hp Montgomery Wards Sea King paint

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    steves
    Participant

High everyone! New member here Very excited and first time using this forum
      I am restoring a 1954 5 hp Montgomery Wards
      Sea King I would call it a blue color with a bit of green in it Can anyone tell me where I may be able to find paint to match?Went to the paint store and they tried but not even close.Generally speaking what type of paint is used in refinishing older outboards?Is it enamel,acrylic etc Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member

Hi Steve,

There are a couple of paint suppliers that make great efforts to research and duplicate original paint colors. I would start there.

http://www.nymarine.ca/

http://www.effenaco.com/

If they cannot help you then I would turn to your local paint store. Perhaps there is somewhere on your motor where the original paint color has been pretty accurately preserved; somewhere that has been protected from the sun. Bring that part into the paint store and they should be able to match it reasonably close.

Truth is…..time has faded all these colors….both in reality and in our memories. Sometimes in spite of all our efforts it remains difficult to paint them a color which we "remember" as being correct.

Chuck

lindy46
        Participant

US Member

I got the blue for my 1951 Sea King 5hp from Effenaco and it was right on and easy to use.

steves
          Participant

Thank so much for getting back to me Chuck I will Check out the two sites you posted first.Them try the paint store This model motor was the first motor I ever experienced as a 6 year old when my dad had our first rowboat.That was in 1956 and my dad taught me how to run it When I came across the exact same motor I couldn’t believe it It’s my first rebuild Thanks again for your help.

steves
            Participant

Guys Just a thanks for stealing me to Effanaco They had the paint and waiting for deliver These guys are unbelievable They have paint for just about any old outboard out there amazing Thanks again

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.