Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 CRESTLINER (double cockpit) ? Value?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    billnkathy
    Participant

1954 Antique Crestliner w/trailer (no motor). Excellent Condition. Would like to sell / don’t know it’s value? Can you help me decide what to list it for?
      It is a 12′ 1954 Commander "12" Run-about MODEL 520 Double Cockpit Full temper Aluminum hull Painted red w/varnished mahogany seats transom 48"
      depth at bow 27"
      depth amid ship 20"

Please advise.

kirkp
      Participant

Where are you located? Pictures would help. Hopefully you’re not located any where near me.
        Kirk

joecb
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

yes location and pix… trailer is important also, what make. ALSO , do you have at good title/registration? These all factor into the value

Joe B

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If it is stamped "520" on the side of the hull, then it’s a 1957 or later. Does it have wood or aluminum gunnels? If it’s a 520 model, it will be stamped "520-XXXX", the model followed by the 4 digit serial number. Does it have a wind shield? That would make a bit of a difference in value.

I bought a 1956 Commander in pretty good shape, with a windshield for $450. Came with a trailer too. I think i got a reasonably good deal on it. I did all the wood work on it and value the boat and trailer at about $1000.

Scott
            This is from the 1957 catalog:
            http://retrocrestliner.com/images/1957c … nd%206.jpg

wetwillie
            Participant

I share Kirk’s feelings 100%.

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

Check out the catalogs at http://www.retrocrestliner.com. Guys on the message board there may also contribute to your value question.

As has been said, location is important due to supply and demand effect on pricing. For example, in Minnesota and Wisconsin, boats like this come up for sale often so the prices are lower.

Below is a photo of what to look for on the model/serial number if it is 1957 or newer, which a model 220 would be. This is on my Commander Custom Deluxe model 550 – look under the gunnel on the starboard side up by the front deck. If there are a lot of coats of paint, the stamped numbers may have gotten filled in. Prior to 1957, the Commander model would be an A, followed by the serial number, for example, A-1234. It may be stamped in ink somewhere on the inner transom aluminum, although these stampings have been found elsewhere on some. If it has the Flying Crest logo on the sides instead of the word "Crestliner" it is 1958 or newer. It is not uncommon for registrations to have the wrong year.

By the way, here in Minnesota, I paid $750 about 7 years ago for my top of the line model 550 (only made one year) with a good running 1976 35 Johnson and a very solid, but homemade trailer with like new tires. The boat needs paint, and the seat vinyl needs work, and the transom wood is not correct, being treated pine.

A dual cockpit Commander is a desirable boat!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.