Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Gale Buccaneer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tinnytintin
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Its nice to see this crew is still going strong 🙂 . You all helped me bring my 1954 Gale Buccaneer back to life last year and now I’ve run into another problem. It leaks between the skeg and the lower unit despite my red rtv job. There is a string like rubber gasket in there and I want to replace it to see if that will get me back on the water. Does anyone know the diameter of the stock gasket or one I could get my hands on to try out? Maybe they sell rolls of these rubber strings? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Outboarders call it spaghetti seal. Industry calls it Buna-N (Nitrile) cord stock, 3/32" diameter. mcmaster.com has it in rolls. But any outboard shop that repairs Evinrude or Johnson motors will have a roll and can snip off a couple of feet for you.

tinnytintin
        Participant

Hey Frank glad to see your still around here. Powerheads still going strong by the way. Ill try a few local places over here. Thanks

Mumbles
          Participant

It can also be purchased in bulk as O ring material. Check with a local industrial supplier or auto supply.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you can’t find it locally I can send you a piece. What hp are we talking about? 15? 25?

Long live American manufacturing!

tinnytintin
              Participant

Its a 11 or 12 hp my mind is in the fog right now. I found that they offer square and round buna-N. After looking at the oil seal I cant determine if it was originally round or square. Any ideas on which was OEM?

I haven’t had much luck finding it locally. There is a Grainger about an hour from me but they don’t carry it and would have to order it. Where abouts are you Bill?

Thanks,

frankr
                Participant

US Member

It’s round

aquasonic
                  Participant

US Member

I deal with Grainger frequently. They can usually have anything they list for pickup, within a day, at my local outlet. I only pay for the item and my state sales tax, no shipping. Here is a link to their listing. I believe that you need the "Black & Round" option.

https://www.grainger.com/category/rubbe … 6sst%3DAll

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                      quote TinnyTinTin:

Its a 11 or 12 hp my mind is in the fog right now. I found that they offer square and round buna-N. After looking at the oil seal I cant determine if it was originally round or square. Any ideas on which was OEM?

I haven’t had much luck finding it locally. There is a Grainger about an hour from me but they don’t carry it and would have to order it. Where abouts are you Bill?

Thanks,

Cape Cod, Massachusetts Just PM me your address and I’ll send you a piece.

Long live American manufacturing!

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

The care and feeding of those split case lower units is virtually the same for 5.5 to 40 horse power models . . . 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.