Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 Johnson RDE-17 "Stop Switch"?

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Buc,
      Yes, the cheap bottle pumps for gear lube work well. I used one for quite a while and filled a lot of gearcases before I got a bucket pump. The biggest thing with the bottle pumps is that they are slow, especially when the weather gets cold. I find myself changing a lot of gear oil in cold weather when I’m winterizing so the bucket pump was a great purchase. I got lucky and got one from a friend pretty cheap. I still keep a bottle pump around though.
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member
        quote Buccaneer:

Will have to invest in one
        of those $10 gear lube bottle pumps. Do they work okay?

I’ve been using a $10 gear oil pump since the 1980s – they work fine, but when not in use, temperature expansion of air in the oil bottle can cause oil to slowly flow out the exit tube, so I loosen the pump from the bottle slightly when not in use so pressure can’t build up. Maybe this is not a problem on newer pumps? I store the bottle with pump in an ice cream pail to keep oil off the floor. Also keep the tube end propped up above the bottle when not in use. I use a twist-tie to connect the end of the threaded fitting on the end of the tube to the top of the pump – if the tube hangs down, oil can slowly siphon out, it gets past the push-on cap mine came with.
        Dave

Mumbles
        Participant

Getting away from the original question a bit, but If you’re into this hobby seriously or just do lots of oil changes, buying the gear oil in bulk is the way to go. After adapting a proper size fitting, a cheap garden sprayer can be used to fill gearcases instead of using a thumb pump. The savings alone from buying oil in bulk will cover the cost of the pump and some fittings.

The two extra fittings in the photo are metric and used on Yams, Hondas, and other metric motors.

Attachments:

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Thanks for your thoughts on lube pumps. I have "lots" of outboards,
            but luckily 90 % of them use "grease" and instead of gear lube,
            but I think I’ll order one of those little bottle pumps for now.
            I did get the gear case filled with my Rube Goldberg device,
            but that’s all I’ll say about it.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.