Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 Merc. Mark 25E finish questions…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have painted the shroud/covers and have masked off the areas that are supposed to be plain aluminum. The areas that are plain (or unfinished) are the areas I am looking to get info on. How are those areas finished? Are they sanded…or polished …or ?????

Your advice is always appreciated.
      Thank you
      Bill

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

paint the cowls then sand in a front to back with 180 grit wet or dry sand paper. that is close if you want use 220 grit to get it finer look not or ever was polished from the factory

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Dave. That is what I needed to know.

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

Easy to do all sanded spots are high spots if you are careful you don’t even need to mask. when you paint try to keep as much paint off those spots.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dave is the Man!! Believe me he knows,

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK…got it. Thank you again.

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Too late now but I like to sand that area flat with a belt sander and 80 grit, before I paint. If you only first sand AFTER painting, the inevitable warping of the aluminum makes it tedious….and potentially dangerous to the paint….to sand off for the final look. If you pre-sand so that the letters have nice, sharp edges, you’ll find that the final sanding will be quick, easy and accurate.

Long live American manufacturing!

huntleybill
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Bill. I am restoring a Mark 25 as well (After I finish the 25E) and I will try your suggestion.

kayaker2
                    Participant

US Member

Huntleybill, Dave Wilson painted my shroud/covers and it came out great. glad to hear you’re getting close. did you get the wiring figured out? Maybe you can bring it to our next meet joint Midwest/Motorhead at silver lake marina on the 17th of September.
                      Give me a call some time. I dropped my mark 50 on my foot Saturday. The skeg never touched the concrete, only my foot.
                      Kayaker2
                      Bob Kolar

huntleybill
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes Bob. I got the wiring harness figured out. I do plan on going to the meet on the 17th but not sure about bringing that motor. I am still looking for the choke solenoid for that motor. Also, the owner of that motor gave me the external wiring harness to restore as well!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.