Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Hiawatha 7.5hp service manual

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mikmar
    Participant

Hello,
      I just purchased my first antique outboard. A 1956 Hiawatha 7.5hp Bail-a-matic. I am looking for service and parts manuals for this motor so I can do all the needed servicing. Can anyone point me to where I can get these manuals or even better if anyone has them would you mind sharing please? Also, I just found that the lower unit uses grease instead of oil. Is this because they had issues with the lower unit leaking? I am planning and re-filling with lubriplate 105 as other members have noted to use but, do I need to worry about removing any old grease before filling? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :mrgreen:

bobw
      Participant

US Member

You might look at http://www.outboardbooks.com to see if they have a manual from the Ken Cook Company for that year model Hiawatha. As you may know, the Hiawatha was built by the Gale Division of OMC for Gamble stores.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

bobw
        Participant

US Member

I may stand corrected. That bail-a-matic model was a Scott-Attwater product.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

This may cover some of the servicing, assuming
            that your Hiawatha is similar to the Scotts.

Prepare to be boarded!

mikmar
            Participant

That will definitely help. Thank you both.

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would look at the bearings & shafts, need to pull the powerhead to replace impellers (2), check the watertube seals too. Pumps sit high & need good seals to prime, Local bearing store will have new bearings,
                SOMEONE? What’s the John Deere grease called? Use 105 for assembly. Those mtrs have almost as many powerhead needles as Merc’s then! I have a CD manual but can’t get it to open

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

It is used in the gearbox of there Corn harvesting machine, they call it "Corn Head" grease. . . . . 😎

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.