Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 javelin 30hp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    clemg
    Participant

US Member

Thanks for the great info!!!

clemg
      Participant

US Member

Would tcw3 oil on bearings or 105? When reassembleing the power head. Would 3m847 be used on top and bottom seals of the crank and crank case halves?

chris-p
        Participant

I personally use assembly lube on my bearings when I install them (Lubriplate 105). If it is a closed bearing (you don’t need the 105 to hold the needles together), and you know you are running it right away, dunking it in TCW3 should be fine. Everyone has their method.

I used 3M847 alone on my crank halves for many years. I have recently swapped to using an Anaerobic Sealer for the metal to metal connections. The 3M847 has fillers in it, so I prefer to use it on my split gearcases and use either the Dealer Brand of Anaerobic Crank Halve Sealer of you choosing, or the more common Loctite/Permatex 515/518. I feel more secure that there will be no crank leaks, but that’s just me.

On crankcase halves that have a spaghetti seal, I put a very thin bead along the spaghetti seal groove to seal/hold the seal, and use Loctite on the metal to metal mating surfaces.

clemg
          Participant

US Member

Are there any torque specs available for 30hp javelin?
            My book only covers 1957 35hp javelin.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Not sure what size the rod screws are, thinking they are 1/4". If so, they are 180-186 INCH pounds. 9/32" are 216-222 inch pounds. Everything else is same as the ’57.

chris-p
              Participant

Here are a few attachments that should help.

Attachments:

clemg
                Participant

US Member

Thanks a bunch!!!

olcah
                  Participant

US Member

Clemg, What did you finally do to take up this bearing looseness? Replace the wrist pin and rod bearings? I don’t see the answer to your original question. Thank you.

clemg
                    Participant

US Member

Sorry I took so long to respond!!
                      I ended up putting new pistons,rings,wrist pin bearings,connecting rod needle bearings in. Just put the case back together and no piston slop at all. Had a machine shop clean up cyclinders and all is good so far. Clemg

quote OLCAH:

Clemg, What did you finally do to take up this bearing looseness? Replace the wrist pin and rod bearings? I don’t see the answer to your original question. Thank you.
                      olcah
                      Participant

US Member

Excellent, Thank you. Did you get parts from Club members or Ebay, etc. These RDE18s are a favorite of mine. I have 3 at last count..

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.