Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Javelin painting chrome

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    alumafd
    Participant

Hi,
      Just had all the chrome pieces re-chromed. Now I have to apply paint to the dimples in the front cover plate. First, should they be white or cream color to match the wings? Secondly, how in the world do you prep the chrome and apply the paint?

Thanks, Jim

chas56x
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

First of all, why in the world would you want to paint the chromed pieces you just had re-chromed? Second, the color of the faceplate is Johnson cream.

theodore
        Participant

I would try to roughen or scratch the chrome in those areas to be painted, to give it some "tooth". "Glass beading" would probably work well. Failing that, I would clean with acetone, and get some really tenacious epoxy spray primer, like Imron or Awlgrip, then top coat over that.

If the epoxy were to someday fail, and I don’t expect it will, you haven’t lost much, just re-do those small areas.

chris-p
          Participant

Glass beading or sanding would be very difficult. The painted areas are VERY small! Glass beading will ruin your freshly chromed piece as well.

I think the last one I did, I chromed the item, cleaned in acetone, then used a tiny detail paint brush to first brush in the primer, then brush in the cream paint overtop. Use compatible paints, and follow wait times closely. Be patient.

Wish I knew how they did it originally in the factory?

chris-p
            Participant
              quote chas56x:

First of all, why in the world would you want to paint the chromed pieces you just had re-chromed? Second, the color of the faceplate is Johnson cream.

Google 1956 Johnson Javelin 30hp and you will see why. It is how they are done.

seakaye12
              Participant

US Member
                seaflash
                Participant

skeg
                  Participant

If you are going to paint over plating then you will most likely need to etch it for proper adhesion. Was in a discussion around how they plated and then painted over portions of the flywheels on some of the older Rowboat Motors. I Googled it and there was a ton of stuff. Try Googling "Painting over chrome". I have also seen a special mastic putty used over parts where plating was not desirable on the entire piece……just portions. i do not know the name of the mastic though. I assume you are referring to the dots and insignia as the parts you want to paint. We also have a few members here in the club who specialize in paint supply. They can help you with colors and advise. They can be found in the member directory or in ads on the Outboarder Mag.

Cheers,

Skeg

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Wonder how they made that picture. Looks like the steering is not connected. Still nice though.

jimmy
                      Participant
                        quote FrankR:

Wonder how they made that picture. Looks like the steering is not connected. Still nice though.

The steering is connected, it is a pull-pull cable setup. Look a little lower.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.