Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 30HP internal wiring harness advice needed..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi All
      I am attempting to repair the wiring harness on the "Subject" motor. My question is with the push button on the dash plate for starting the motor. When I press the choke button, the choke closes as it should. When I press the start button, nothing happens. I have attached the wiring diagram from nymarine.com. The motor is wired exactly as the wiring diagram shows however I cannot figure out for the life of me how the push button for the start is supposed to work the way it is wired.

One side of the switch is wired to the mercury switch. The other side goes to the relay. Where does it get power from?

If I remove the mercury switch from the start button and jump a wire from the power lead on the choke button to the start button (the side that used to have the mercury switch connected) the solenoid energizes when I push the button and the starter engages as it should.

What am I missing here? Is the wiring diagram wrong?
      Thank you for your advice
      Bill

Attachments:

adam1961
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

When the mercury switch is creating a path to ground at low throttle, it allows the start button to complete the circuit that triggers the starter solenoid. It won’t work if the mercury switch is bad or missing. Ground that lead and see if anything changes.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Diagram is correct. But do you have the correct solenoid (relay)? Grounding the small terminal on the relay causes it to close and starter to run. So, the primary circuit for it is small terminal – to push button – to mercury switch – to ground

Remember, this is the circuit for a 6 Volt system, with the 6 Volt relay. 12 Volt relay is different inside.

chris-p
          Participant

Stupid question, but you have it on START right? 🙂 WHen on start, the mercury switch is parallel

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

The activating coil in the solenoid is internally fastened to the positive battery post. Test the solenoid by attaching a jumper wire to the small terminal and touching the other end to the engine ground. That should activate the starter. If nothing happens, the solenoid may be in upside down. Try reversing the positive and negative battery connections, and test again. Still nothing – bad solenoid. If it just clicks, then the internal contacts are dirty. It is hard to take apart to clean, so best replace the Solenoid. The Super Quiet (Aquasonic) models must have a good ground strap (wire) between the mercury switch and the engine block. (Rubber motor mounts & plastic bushings insulate the engine from the tiller.) Make sure you have good tight connections. . . 😉

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK…I will try your suggestions. I’ll let you know. Thank you for your help.

huntleybill
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Garry, Frank…that worked. The solenoid was in upside down.
                  Looks like I should replace it anyway. The posts for the battery cables are stripped. Are these solenoids available? Where can I get one?

Thank you again for all your help

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

These are the parts used in the 6 volt system. BRP has added a zero to the beginning of the part number to make it compatible with there computer. So you need a 0277317 solenoid.

huntleybill
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Garry. I looked for the parts diagram for this harness, but couldn’t find one.
                      Thank you for posting this.

huntleybill
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Oh..and I forgot. The rubber shielding that bundles all the wires together? Where can I purchase that stuff?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.