Home Forum Ask A Member 1957-58 Johnson 35 hp- PLEASE HELP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    dobber
    Participant

hello Everyone:

Well i have been restoring a 14 ft bellboy from the 50’s with a 35 hp johnson. i know the lower unit needs to be serviced because there is lots of water down there, the problem is the engine coughs when giving it gas. i ordered a carburetor kit too. I have videos showing the problem.. someone out there has to be able to help me diagnose the problem. i am running out of money snd i am wondering if i should keep obsessing over getting this boat really great. i have plenty of pictures of my daughter and i on the water when the Ava- Lily is screaming down the Petaluma river. everytime i take her out i get lots of questions. i love this boat. please help. i bought the owners manual and have done hours of research. I’ve changed the plugs, adjusted the high speed lever think?????what next

chris-p
      Participant

Very hard to diagnose from that information alone. Can you post the video?

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

How was the timing set? Feelers gages?, the OEM/reproduction timing tool?

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

frankr
          Participant

US Member

"Coughs" is a very vague description. Are you sure it is coughing, or can it be jumping/jolting like you are hitting something in the water? The latter would describe a condition where it is jumping out of gear and instantly slamming back into gear (i.e. a worn out clutch dog & forward gear in the lower unit)

dobber
            Participant

Thank you for your quick response. it is quite a jolt, and it only happens when the boat is in gear and i start to go fast. it gets to the point where it happens so frequently that the motor goes ratt an tatatat rat ta tatttatatt, and starts shaking violently. I think you could be right about the clutch dog. I am a novice at this stuff, I am a salesman by trade (a good one at that) but i think i am going to try and do this myself. 3 people have worked on this boat since i have had it. John from Pt. Reyes (retired UPS driver who knows a lot about old john sons) he replaced the fuel tanks, the rope pully system to steel cables and got the engine running. he died. then John from Sebastapol, a retired SFSU professor, he tuned up the motor, replaced the throttle cables and mounted the lights on the trailer, he just got cancer so he only helps me via FaceTime. now my neighbors son who is a mobile tractor mechanic is working on it, but he charges 100 bucks an hour, 500 to replace the starter 2 weeks ago. we went out on the boat so he could diagnose the problem, and he said it could be carb, could be ignition etc etc. is there a way i could post a quick video to show you what the engine is doing. I watched a video on clutch dogs and it involved machine type corrections to the gears. that looks pretty intimidating to me. I could post the video on Facebook or maybe instagram.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Your description screams out Clutch Dog. Severely worn out one at that.

dobber
                Participant
                  westwind
                  Participant

Canada Member

Looks like clutch dog problems. Not terribly hard to replace, it needs seals anyway so it has to come apart. The fork that engages the clutch could be worn as well and not fully setting the dogs.

It’s important to keep the rpm’s low and engage the gear shifter firmly, like you mean it. Gradual engagement at higher RPM’s can cause damage to the clutch dogs.

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

Often this can be cured by reversing the clutch dog on the propshaft. It is symmetrical. When reversed, the aging end is then going to reverse gear instead of forward where you don’t put that much speed on it, so it may work fine.
                      Dave

dobber
                      Participant

please download the video i posted and tell me what you think is the solution.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.