Home Forum Ask A Member 1957-58 Mercury mark 10 impeller questions

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

David is right on the money. If you try to put a gasket there, you will destroy the forward/reverse spring, the big spring on the transmission. There will be too much end play and the spring will pull in between the two drums. It might work in a test tank but not at high speed; at least, not for very long. $$$$$$. The best thing is to follow the manual and ask lots of questions.

Long live American manufacturing!

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I watched that video also. My motor is a 1957 and the impeller cartridge is upside down compared to the ’58 motor that he was working on. NO gasket between the center section and the gear case. I don’t remember a left hand tread on that spanner nut but maybe it was LHT. My impeller would not fit the drive shaft until I filed the key way square. Not criticizing but beware of changes from year to year.

dale

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

If you have the round key way in the impeller then it is for a mark 20-25-30. same as the auto tranny’s except for the key way.

seakaye12
          Participant

US Member
            quote david bartlett:

I have to question his use of a gasket between the lower unit gearcase and leg as none is called for and can affect the end play which is critical in these.

My opinion is to use all the resources available and do your research before you start.

Thanks David! I appreciate your bringing that to my attention! I noticed that he said that he didn’t order the gasket….but had the materials to make one. I guess if he’d tried to order one he would have discovered that there was no such gasket used.
            Here’s a parts manual PDF for the Mark 10. They look to be challenging motors to work on; I don’t own one yet….maybe someday.

Chuck

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dave, I pulled my old mark 10 out today and took a picture of the port drain or whatever you want to call it. Just make sure it is NOT plugged. It brings water to the impeller and it also drains water away so it don’t freeze up. I got lucky and my motor froze and it pushed the gasket out that covers the shifter paws so it didn’t hurt anything. I later found out why. Hope you get her going, warm weather is coming, so they tell me!

dale

Attachments:

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.