Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp (Points adjustments)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cesarp35
    Participant

Hey guys i have a question On setting and adjusting the points, I’ve seen a lot of videos on you tube but none address my question, there’s the set screw and the adjustment screw, on the adjustment screw do i start off by tightening all the way and then work my way out and adjust? or do i start adjusting and setting upon screwing on the plate. Thanks!

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Not sure I understand the question. I install the points and tighten the hold-down screw, making sure the thin wave washer is under the head. Then, contrary to what is normally thought, you do not have to loosen that screw to make the adjustment. The eccentric adjusting screw will move it, even with the hold-down screw tight. Just try it if you don’t believe it.

If you are asking about the eccentric screw, just screw it all the way in before installing the points, then back it out about half a turn so you can turn it back and forth to move the points.

cesarp35
        Participant
          quote FrankR:

Not sure I understand the question. I install the points and tighten the hold-down screw, making sure the thin wave washer is under the head. Then, contrary to what is normally thought, you do not have to loosen that screw to make the adjustment. The eccentric adjusting screw will move it, even with the hold-down screw tight. Just try it if you don’t believe it.

If you are asking about the eccentric screw, just screw it all the way in before installing the points, then back it out about half a turn so you can turn it back and forth to move the points.

Yes the eccentric screw is what i meant. sorry i’m new to these vintage outboards and to the parts terminology. i just didn’t feel comfortable the first time i installed the points i felt like i left the eccentric screw to loose. I will give this a try tomorrow. Thanks FrankR for always responding i appreciate the help and your knowledge!!! I learned something new again today. Thanks

dougs-outboards
          Participant

Frank, I thought I was the only one that left the tightening screw tight. Been reading for years now people who loosen it (like the old car points) then tighten back up. Never liked the old way on points on cars, seemed that sometimes the points would move a little bit when you tightened the screw back up, then you had to do it again to get the gap right. On a wave washer, I believe it’s meant to move a little with pressure when the tightening screw is still tight.

cesarp35
            Participant
              quote cesarp35:

quote FrankR:

Yes the eccentric screw is what i meant. sorry i’m new to these vintage outboards and to the parts terminology. i just didn’t feel comfortable the first time i installed the points i felt like i left the eccentric screw to loose. I will give this a try tomorrow. Thanks FrankR for always responding i appreciate the help and your knowledge!!! I learned something new again today. Thanks

Ok FrankR so i took the flywheel off today and set the points the way you suggested and i was able to set the gap on the points correctly but before i put the flywheel back on is the eccentric screw suppose to remain a little loose? the set screw is nice and tight but after setting the gap with the eccentric screw i noticed it moves a little in other words it remains a little free. Thanks

david-bartlett
              Participant

Cesar,

Yes, the pivot screw can sometimes appear loose. That is normal.

cesarp35
                Participant
                  quote david bartlett:

Cesar,

Yes, the pivot screw can sometimes appear loose. That is normal.

Got it! that was my concern, thanks Dave!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.