Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 FD11 Johnson questions

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, didn’t remember the part about the engine being hard to pull over….
      I agree, just try to start it in the tank, recheck compression with another gage….Give it back if readings don’t come up and it is still hard to turn over….
      You could always drain and fill the gearcase though, look for signs of water/rust, perhaps the gearcase is tight…

shoestringmariner
      Participant

MYSTERY SOLVED, or at least partially…It WAS my pressure tester. Totally weird how over thee consecutive tests of top cyl holding at 60psi and bottom cyl coming up to around the same, then steadily losing pressure to zero, and in that order every time. I’m wondering if it was the amount of the hose flex causing a crack to open up or something

So….Happy to report its showing around 100psi on both cyls, and holding solid on both. Ran well in the barrel, started second pull. Runs quietly and idles nicely.

Still puzzled about why its tight with the plugs out…PO said he never touched the impeller and used it only once a year.

So, first up…service the bottom end and the recoil and I think we’re good to go!

Thanks for the help guys

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Excellent! Sounds like you found a good one! I’d be surprised if that tightness doesn’t go away after you service the bottom end, recoil, and run it a while.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.