Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Johnson 18HP FD-11 water pump HELP!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

The threads on those stainless steel screws are easily damaged if you’re not carefull. Letting the weight of the gear case hang on the shift rod while you undo the screw is sure to cause damage. Either support the skeg on do the work on the motor in a horizontal position. If the threads are stripped, the connector can still be used. Turn the connecter and use a bolt with a nut with a nylon insert that will lock it in place. The good end is then the one used to make the final connection. Know also you have no second chance. Be careful to have the hole precisely lined up with the notch in the shaft before inserting the screw . . . 😀

Mumbles
      Participant

Hey! Who ‘shopped my photo?

Nice work!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It might be easier to have an assistant helping out….Someone that can hold the gearcase while you align the water pump tube. Please do replace the oring on top of the driveshaft, it seals the splines from rusting. Be sure to lube the splines with the "moly lube" supplied in the water pump kit….

londonflu
          Participant

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice. I ended up I did a search on Google and found a family owned business; "Dekalb Marina", I figured for a business to be still around since 1968, they have to be doing something right. I called them and spoke with PJ, I told her I was having problems lining up the lower end unit to the motor. PJ told me to just bring it by, she’d be more than happy to help. So I stopped by there, and it took PJ only 10 mins to complete, for something that took me 3 days to try and do. This confirmed theory about "them having to be doing something right"; they do it all right. Professionalism and stellar customer service. They will be getting my business from now on.

I got home and slid the gear shift rod into the case with no problem, but I could not see the indention where i painted the nail polish. Did I slide it too far up perhaps?

londonflu
            Participant

New Impeller, rebuilt carb, new plugs, new fuel hoses, de-carbonated exhaust, 16:1 mix, ethanol-free.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNelPodVqDpjmcf8osMDdnnJLSCb0pAF4ixk1ay

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The is what I got – where did I go wrong ? ? ? 🙄

Mumbles
                Participant

It’s a bad link.

PugetSoundBoater
                  Participant
                    quote Mumbles:

Hey! Who ‘shopped my photo?

Nice work!

Mumbles, Who wouldn’t want to save your photos as reference? You do such a good job with the camera and the photos are almost always self explanatory. 😀
                    Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                    Robbie Robertson

moxie-man
                    Participant

US Member

Does anybody know the thread size of the linkage bolt. I was replacing one on the same engine with a friend and it stripped. Is it a one half inch long 1/4 – 28 SS bolt? Marine engine wants $9.95 per bolt. Any info would be appreciated.

dave-bernard
                      Participant

US Member

1/4 x 28 is correct

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.