Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 johnson 35 hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bck1
    Participant

Greetings all, I have been following the forum for some time and now have need of some help. I am currently working a on an old Johnson and have got to a point where I need some help. I have rebuilt the mag plate and have good spark on both cylinders but as I put the mag back on the engine and secure the 4 bolts I note the there is a slight wobble side to side of about 1/16th of and inch. Is that normal and if not what could be the cause and how to correct it? Thanks for any suggestions Brian

david-bartlett
      Participant

bck1,

Welcome! Make sure the retaining ring that the mag plate screws to is right side up. The "flat" side should face up. If that is OK, then you may have a bit too much slop. People have different ways of dealing with that, and others will chime in.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Thebest way is install a 580871 Armature plate kit, which was made for that very purpose. It updates it to the parts that were used in the 1970’s era.

Of course, there are other, cheaper, ways. Some may even work awhile.

bck1
          Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the retaining ring to see if that is a problem. The motor is at my cottage so is only a weekend project and will take some time before I can get to it. I tend to be a slow but methodical worker so this will be a long term project. If I need the Armature plate kit where would I order it from Frank? Again thanks for input and your patience Brian

david-bartlett
            Participant

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … num=580871

Or try ePay.

bck1
              Participant

Thanks I see it online. I also have another donor motor so may see if the plate on that one works better

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.