Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Johnson 35hp Getting Hot

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    outboardboy3
    Participant

Hey guys, took out the boat today for the first time in 10 years on the water again! It ran great! Until it started bogging down at full speed, so I took it back to the ramp and discovered the exhaust housing was really HOT. Also the exhaust housing is discolored. It pumps a lot of water, but is still hot. I think the bogging down is a result of the carb, but does it have a temperature switch, and why is it getting so hot? Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Got news for ya—getting hot in that area is normal. You say it was pumping plenty of water, so time to do some more troubleshooting.

Mumbles
        Participant

I’m not sure if all the Big Twin/RD motors had this bleeder or drain hole going into the water jacket but it dumps water into the exhaust to help cool it. Might be time to pull the powerhead to see if it’s plugged. A broken piece of an old impeller could easily plug this hole.

Attachments:

frankr
          Participant

US Member

They were still scorching paint in the 1970’s

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

If it hasn’t been run in 15 years, I would but in a new impeller – – – 😎

outboardboy3
              Participant

I did, I installed a brand new impeller. Also, I found the possibility of it not running right, the cap I used to cap the intake barb was split (probably due to the clamp I used to put it on) and had leaked some gas, when I did the single-line conversion. The exhaust shroud may be normal temperature on this motor, I’m not sure. Could it be possible that a water passage is clogged in the powerhead? Thanks.

shoestringmariner
                Participant

Are you missing a Welch plug anywhere in there? That happened to me on a 1955 7.5 OMC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.