Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Johnson Javalin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    oldcollector
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am restoring a1957 Javalin and need to know,on the front low and high speed door cover,is the upper aria above the sea horse chrome or brushed chrome? Also are the numbers 35 on each side of the cover chrome plated or are they gold, or anodizer gold. Thanks for any help in advance. DARRYL

bobw
      Participant

US Member

The upper area above the seahorse emblem is chrome. The "35" emblem on each side of the cover is gold, but I’m not sure if it’s gold plated or just painted gold. See some typical Javelin examples at:

http://www.javelin1957.com

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

oldcollector
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the info. This is the only place in the world you can find info like this.

nj-boatbuilder57
          Participant

I just had my chrome re-plated on my ’57 GJ…..that front door has 2 processes done to it: bright chrome on the upper portion, satin chrome on the lower portion. A good plater should be able to do both processes.

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

NJ,
              Can you share with us the contact info of the plater you used to restore your pieces?
              Were you 100% happy with the results, etc?
              Tganks!
              Scott

nj-boatbuilder57
              Participant

I was 100% happy with the results, and believe me: my parts were in rough shape to begin with.

I called a few of the bigger production houses in NJ, but nobody was interested in "piece work". Then I found a small, independent plater, working out of a dinky little storefront location. Honestly, I was a little unsure as I walked in (the place seemed a bit disorganized), but the results were perfect. Maybe a tad on the expensive side ($400, all in), but I couldn’t be happier with the results. Took about 3 weeks. Cash only.

Good guy…did a great job. Apparently he’s "known" on the local hotrod scene. I was a walk-in; I don’t know if he accepts work that gets shipped to him. Certainly worth a phone call…

Ron Monte Triple Chrome Plating
                25 Roseland Ave.
                Caldwell, NJ 07006
                (973) 226-6184

Mumbles
                Participant

What a quaint little chrome shop!

Usually a small business will give more personalised service.

Attachments:

nj-boatbuilder57
                  Participant

That’s the place….yep!

opposedtwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, i think little indys like that can be great! Not always, but often they’re the only ones willing to do small amounts of work. Glad places like that are still around. Good to hear they did a good job! Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.