Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Johnson QD18 10 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Michael Purpura
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I wish I could search these forums because my question has probably been answered hundreds of times. I have a Johnson 10 hp, 1957, QD18. I ordered a seal kit for the lower end and one seal is the wrong size and it is missing an O ring. The seal I need has an O.D. of 1.250″, it fits over a shaft that is 0.625″ and measures 0.3100″ thick. If anyone has a number for this seal I would love to have it.

The O ring measures approx. (it is a little rubbery), I.D. 1.790, O.D. 1.440″, and thickness of 0.119″. If anyone has a source for these items let me know.

Also let me know how to search these forums so I don’t have to ask a question that has already been answered.

Best regards,

Mike

Steve Martin
      Participant

US Member

I use the SKF seal finder website below for seals.

https://www.skfextranet.com/crsealsfinder/

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

info    call these folks  up they probably have all you need

https://www.vintageoutboard.com/collections/johnson-evinrude-water-pumps-impellers-lower-units/products/22-30001-gear-case-seal-kit

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
          Participant

US Member

The original seal was part number 302495

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have used SKF seals     actually  I installed 2 back to back  on one  oldy     and since they were not SS  or bronze  I coated the outside one with  a couple of layers of  latex based glue  to offer some protection from  a freshwater  only  environment

seems to work ok.   ( to many  oldys… can’t kep track 🙂 )

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

John Gragg
              Participant

US Member

I was able to get a 302495 for my QD15 at marineengine.com. A bit pricy I will say, the suggestion to search the SKF site is a good one.

If your o-ring is the same as mine, it will be a 302493. Frank might be able to verify that for you. I found a good source on flebay, about $9.

Good luck

Best Regards

John Gragg
                RIverside, CA

Just starting in the hobby, please be patient.

48 Sea King 5hp GG9014A
                49 Sea King 5hp GG9014A
                48 Johnson TD20
                49 Johnson TD20
                54 Johnson QD15
                55 Johnson CD12

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Steve D
                Participant

The 302493 o-ring number is correct. The 302495 seal is also SKF 6280 also on ebay right now for just under $20. Any SKF 6280 I ever bought was stainless.

I’m guessing you received the smaller diameter seal in that seal kit. I bought some bushings a while back from a member who made them that allows you to use that smaller seal in that bearing head.

If you want to do that I can send you one…email me at sdpiazza (at) aol.com

302495-and-smaller-seal-with-bushing
                  gearcase-group
                  Web-gearcase-group_01

Michael Purpura
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Steve. I did find the CR 6280 on ebay (Stainless) and bought it. Thanks too for the parts list.

Michael Purpura
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you for the info. I found the CR6280 in stainless and ordered it. Marine Engine is sending the right O ring to me. Problem solved.

Michael Purpura
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Steve, and thanks to everyone that helped me out on this seal and o-ring problem. If I can keep the motor maintained it will outlive me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.