Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 johnson still won’t run right

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dobber
    Participant

well more bad news, i took the all 3 gear sets and 2 lower units to a master technician in sausilito. he assured me that he put a lower unit back together that will work. he said he did not have time to do the shift linkage adjustment until next friday.. had my other mechanic put the lower unit in and we are sure we adjusted the linkage right. i get out on the water out of the marina and she is running beautifully for about a half mile . i was so happy after 6 months of trying to get this fixed. then all of a sudden it started slowing down and shaking and you could just feel something was going wrong, all of a sudden when I’ve got it in forward and 3 quarter throttle , the whole damm boat stops and the engine kicked up out of the water. WTF???? NOW WHAT?. we were able to re start the engine and crawl back to the harbor. basically the same problem i have been dealing with, as soon as i give it a lot of gas, something bad happens. it used to kick or spit or cough, now it just plain shakes violently and abruptly stops. is it slipping out of gear, an old timer told mr that if the motor kicked out of the water it was in reverse?. i am now over $2800 into this problem and i still can’t get on the water. i remember one of the last times it took it out before all the problems, i hit a goose dead on at full throttle, did that mess something with the linkage somewhere in the engine?

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

See my comments on your first post…

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

Just a thought, When the boat slowed down, was the shaking you described accompanied by the motor trying to rev to higher RPM’s like it went into neutral? When it revs high, the rev limiter starts cutting out one cylinder which will make it "shake and chunk" like crazy until the RPM comes down by reducing throttle. If so, I’d bet the prop is slipping on it’s thin rubber shock absorbing mount to it’s hub. The fix is to replace the prop. Taking it off, you won’t be able to slip it by hand. You can mark the prop’s position on its hub, put it back on, let it shake/fail again and then see if the prop moved on the mark you made. It’s unlikely it will stop at the same place on the hub. There used to be shops that could replace this rubber hub to prop interface, but I haven’t heard of one for decades. You can get a new prop reasonable at http://www.propcopropellers.com/.
          Dave

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Perhaps you can post a video of the engine misbehaving, but check/change the gear lube first…

olcah
            Participant

US Member

You so need guidance from a knowledgeable LOCAL club member. Many members know (and love) these classic Johnson engines and have years of experience. They will look the motor over and watch it run. Then they will help for the pleasure of getting you and you engine running. No profit motive. This is a great hobby. When starting we all have a learning curve then it gets easier. Get with a member.

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Please post your location so someone local can step up and help you with this project…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks to me like California, so that leaves me out. It would be a long service call from Cape Cod.

I guess I missed previous posts, so what hp is it, please?

When an engine stops abruptly in forward, the prop and lower unit are noting but drag; so the motor will pop out of the water, if not locked down. Being in reverse probably has nothing to do with it. Does the motor restart right away and run smoothly at low speed, right away? If it won’t crank over right away, it may have over heated and seized up.

If it’s free to turn over as soon as it stops, and its a 35 hp, I like Dave’s theory about the rev limiter and slipping prop….

Long live American manufacturing!

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

Bill – yes – in his other message string, he said it’s a 35 HP, so it would have the rev limiter.

Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.