Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Mark 30 lower unit setup

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chipster303
    Participant

US Member

I am putting together a spare lower unit for my 1957 Mark 30 outboard. I am going crazy trying to assemble it. I have the forward gear and pinion shimmed for proper gear mesh. When I put the reverse gear assembly in, I feel binding between the reverse gear and pinion. Where/how do you shim the reverse gear to move it away from the pinion gear? There are currently no shims in the reverse gear assembly. Is it possible that the body of the lower unit was machined too deep? There should be a way to shim the gear away to get the proper clearance. Any words of advice would be appreciated.
      Thank you!

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Parts list shows shims. That’s all I know..

chipster303
        Participant

US Member

Thanks, Frank.
          I have this parts list. I have shims (part number 15-24592) but don’t think they will solve my problem. I do not have shims (part number 15-20822). They are not illustrated and I wonder where they go and if they will resolve my issue. Currently, there is only about .004 gap between the reverse gear and the ball bearing. Not sure if I can pick up any gear clearance by reducing this gap somehow.
          I have no shims (15-20788) behind the forward gear, and do not need any there.
          Thank you for your reply. I hope someone can shed light on this issue!

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

reverse shims go in before the reverse gear and carrier. 1 914 310 7086

chipster303
            Participant

US Member

Thank you for the information, Dave. This is the only thing that makes sense to me. Although they are not illustrated on the parts drawing, they are on the parts list. It appears the correct shims are part number 15-20822. Now all I Need to do is find some.

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s been quite awhile since I had one apart but I don’t remember any shims between the ball bearing and reverse gear. This would be the 15-20822 you’re talking about. Even if you bought some, shimming between the ball bearing and reverse gear would only make your problem worse, moving the reverse gear CLOSER to the pinion gear. You want to be moving the reverse gear backward and away from the pinion gear. This would be accomplished by the 15-24592 shims, reference number 17, in the drawing. The general rule is that when you have no idea what amount of shims you will need, start with a total of 0.015", then start checking the clearances and making any adjustments as needed.

Long live American manufacturing!

chipster303
                Participant

US Member

After noodling this thing out for a long while, and talking with Dave, it appears the 15-20822 shims between the reverse gear ball bearing adapter ring and the gear housing will move the reverse gear away from the pinion gear. Using the 15-24592 shims between the reverse gear bearing and the sealing ring assembly will move the reverse gear toward the pinion gear.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.