Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 35 hp Sea King Restore or parts?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bookfuzz
    Participant

I restore old boats from the 50s.
      I picked up a Blue Star boar with a 1958 Sea King 35 hp motor on it.
      I’ve been working on the boat but I’m not sure if I should try to restore the motor or just part it out .
      It turns over and is complete but I’m not sure it it’s worth the money to do the work.
      What so ya think fix or part out? What do you think its worth in fair running condition.
      I don’t see any of them on line.

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I say save it! Dont part it out unless it can’t be saved. It’s complete so in my opinion it’s a no-brainer.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Mumbles
        Participant

Since OMC’s Gale Division made some of the more attractive motors built in the fifties, I’d save it. Especially if it is electric start and has the wiring harness with it. I believe the Montgomery Ward Sea King 35 was only built in ’58 and ’59 so it’s a bit of an uncommon motor.

Attachments:

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Only built in ’58 and ’59. True but I never thought of it that way. Interesting point. Maybe we should point out that it is not a totally obsolete orphan though. It continued on as a 40hp with a fiberglass hood. And after Gale quit production, it showed up in Evinrude and Johnson showrooms as a 28 and 33hp.

bookfuzz
            Participant

thanks for the advice.
              I have the wire harness and tank. I bought the whole rig…boat …motor and trailer for $200.00. It was a mess but a solid early 1950 Blue Star boat.
              The previous owner had built a side console steering set up for it.
              I have a new solenoid for it and may get regulator if I can get it to kick over and run. It does turn over when I jump the solenoid but that is as far as I’ve gotten so far.
              I’ll be flipping the whole thing when I’m done so if it does not want to play nice I may just sell the whole thing on line.
              Probably worth more than the boat to the right guy.
              Not may around in one piece.

bookfuzz
              Participant

I also have a 1955 Larson/Crestliner 12 foot speedster with a 1962 Evinrude 18 HP. I’m just getting done with.
                Neat aluminum boat with white oak framework. Wood gunnels, seats and transom. Only year made as far as I can tell. The 1954 had an Oak splash rail.

dank
                Participant

I used to have a ’58 or ’59 Gale – it ran just fine. Keep it and get it running – they’re pretty simple motors to work on.

phil-b
                  Participant
                    quote Mumbles:

I believe the Montgomery Ward Sea King 35 was only built in ’58 and ’59 so it’s a bit of an uncommon motor.

I have the Gale 35 hp as 1958 thru 1960 (the ’35 was only sold for three years by the "majors" as well)

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

I’d restore it! I brought it’s cousin – a 1958 35 HP Gale Buccaneer back from the dead and it’s an excellent motor! Photo below – note the blue lower is from a fried donor Evinrude because the Gale had a cracked exhaust housing when I got it. My Gale also was rare because it had a tiller – that tiller may find it’s way onto another of several 35 OMCs that have taken up residence here, or maybe back onto the Gale some day.
                      Dave

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.