Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson JW 14 not running

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    grunt311
    Participant

Hello to all the professionals.

I have a 1958 Johnson JW-14 that will not stay running. Motor ran fine all season and yesterday it just while trolling in the river it died out. When i pull it the motor will hit and run for about two seconds then stall out. It seemed that i had a fuel delivery problem so i brought it home and cleaned it up. I took the carb apart and cleaned all the part out to make sure nothing was clogged. All parts looked good and gaskets seemed fine while the was a little bit of junk in the bowl. I put the motor in my test tank and same thing fires then stalls out. I put the motor on the stand in the garage and started it and it will run. I know this will do some harm to the impeller so i only ran it for a short period about five seconds. I put it back in the tank and same thing fires then stalls out. Could it be a blown head gasket and while in the tank it picks up water in the cylinders? I’m stumped, so instead of tearing it all down i thought i would ask some questions first. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Well since you suggested it, yes it could be a blown head gasket between the cylinders. That would not let water into the cylinders, but would affect the compression. Next step: Check compression.

Tom
        Participant

US Member

What about the fuel line to the carburetor, and the filter in the tank?

T

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

does it run with the fuel cap open … not just the vent the whole fuel cap must be off .

. if it does you need to unplug the two small vent holes in the fuel cap… look VERY closely they are 180 degrees apart and you need to unplug them with a paper clip to see the light ! if you don’t see them rotate the small aluminum plate to line up the holes and the plate cut-outs

btw was this oldy ever serviced to change the coils??? if not you have just been lucky…so far

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

As Frank said, look for a blown headgasket on that model between the cylinders – If bad, compression will be equally low on both cylinders. When you took the carb apart, did you check the thick "donut" gasket that looks like a thick fiber washer, that is at the bottom of the venturi outer housing that hangs down through the hole in the carb float ? If that is bad or missing, you can start it but unless you have the throttle at a slow idle, it will immediately flood and quit in about 2 seconds. Often this falls off when you take the carb apart and you don’t notice it is missing.
              Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.