Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 Evinrude 10HP powerhead

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Just picked up a 1959 Evinrude 10HP Sportwin with a seized powerhead.
      What years can I use as a bolt on replacement? I heard 56 to 59. Is that correct?
      Thanks,
      Bob D

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Someone will correct me if im wrong but I think it would have to be a ’59 – ’63. ’59 is the first year with a thermostat and I believe you have to use a thermostat powerhead on a thermostat exhaust housing. They started using needle bearing on the wristpins in ’61 so that may be something to keep in mind when Looking for one. How bad is it stuck? I’d try to free it up if it were mine. Once it’s free see if it is worth anything or still needs replacement or a rebuild.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Ben,"Knock, Knock", don’t you have a power head to sell him? 🙂

Prepare to be boarded!

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s loose…. but, maybe a little too loose in some areas. 😯 Knock, knock is right Buc! 😉
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bob-d
            Participant

US Member

Ben, thanks for the year advice. I was going the wrong way, back to earlier non-thermostat motors.
              I’ll try to free it up first before I ditch it.
              Have really never had any luck freeing up stuck powerheads.
              Bob D

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

Before you give up, determine where it is stuck. I had a 6 HP a few years ago that had a broken vane on the impeller jamming it up. Have also seen rusted up lower gearcases. If it’s a seized piston, stick a long screwdriver in a sparkplug hole until it touches the top of the piston and try to move the flywheel back and forth – If only one piston is stuck, you can determine which one by the feel of the screwdriver when you rock the flywheel.
                Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.