Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 lark 35hp questions

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member
      quote VinTin:

There are adjustments either on the connector from the roller to the throttle butterfly or under the flywheel the machine screws that hold the brass cam in place. You need to adjust until the throttle butterfly is just beginning to open when the roller lines up centered on the hash mark on the brass cam. It is way off!

NO! you have it lined up properly. The butterfly should just start to open when the arrow to the left of the roller hits the mark on the cam. Adjust it by loosening the bolts on the cam and adjusting the cam in and out to make it so. You need to replace that roller – it is heavily grooved which can throw timing off.

opposedtwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks lindy. I thought i had it right. I’ll get that cam follower replaced. They seem to get grooved pretty quickly and easily. Seen many of them with electrician’s tape on them. One I replaced about 3 years ago is already grooved.
        What about that second picture of the throttle gears? Does that look correct to you? I’m still not sure what would account for you guys being at only about 2/3 throttle when the piece is at the stop when i’m already at full throttle at that same point.

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks lindy. I thought i had it right. I’ll get that cam follower replaced. They seem to get grooved pretty quickly and easily. Seen many of them with electrician’s tape on them. One I replaced about 3 years ago is already grooved.
          What about that second picture of the throttle gears? Does that look correct to you? I’m still not sure what would account for you guys being at only about 2/3 throttle when the armature plate is at the stop when I’m already at full throttle at that same point.

vintin
          Participant
            quote lindy46:

quote VinTin:

There are adjustments either on the connector from the roller to the throttle butterfly or under the flywheel the machine screws that hold the brass cam in place. You need to adjust until the throttle butterfly is just beginning to open when the roller lines up centered on the hash mark on the brass cam. It is way off!

NO! you have it lined up properly. The butterfly should just start to open when the arrow to the left of the roller hits the mark on the cam. Adjust it by loosening the bolts on the cam and adjusting the cam in and out to make it so. You need to replace that roller – it is heavily grooved which can throw timing off.

You are right of course about the hash mark and pointer lining up. My bad. I was thinking of a 25 1969 I was just working on.

lindy46
            Participant

US Member

I’m not sure what that second picture represents. Not sure what "gears" you’re talking about. The "ears" on the vertical control rod should fit into that connector and the top of the rod should connect to the mag plate. When you advance the throttle, that rod should advance the mag plate.

mark weaver
              Participant

This is some good detailed advise here.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.