Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 Sportwin Electric Start?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

Members and Guests,

Did Evinrude offer electric start on a 59 Sportwin?

I got a call today from a person who says they have one, and want to know what it is worth. I wanted to know if this was an option on that motor, or if someone has gotten creative, before I call the guy back.

Thanks,

David

Steve D
      Participant

I don’t think that was ever offered on the 10’s. My guess is someone tried to get creative (and failed) or he might not know exactly what he has. Maybe ask him a few more questions. I’ve had this happen to me where someone thought an 18 HP cover was for a 10 because on the front of the 1960 18 HP cover part of the decal is covering the top part of the "8" in 18 and it was faded enough to make it look like a 10.

And if it is an 18 then that could be electric start.

free uploader

westwind
        Participant

Canada Member

I agree, more likely an 18. It’s about the size of a more modern 10HP(9.9).

frankr
          Participant

US Member

The Electric start 9.9hp came out in 1974. Maybe he is mistaken about the year?

david-bartlett
            Participant

I looked and could not find any electric start Sportwin from 59. I did not talk directly to the owner, just got a voicemail saying "I have a 1959 Sportwin electric start 10 hp motor. What can I get for it?"

It looks as though the 10hp and the 18ph used the same cowl, so something likely got switched along the way. A wolf in sheep’s clothing!

This one calls for more follow up and to look at it in person. I will let you guys know what I find. May be a couple days, but I will reply.

Thanks.

Steve D
              Participant
                quote david bartlett:

It looks as though the 10hp and the 18ph used the same cowl, so something likely got switched along the way. A wolf in sheep’s clothing!

Hi Dave, Although they look the same the 18 HP cowl is definitely bigger.

david-bartlett
                Participant

Ok, this one will likely remain a mystery. I called the fellow back and he immediately wants to know what the motor is worth. Said it has been in storage about 25 years. Ran great at that time. No kidding.

I diplomatically told him that without seeing it I could not give a fair estimate, but that it would likely need new coils and a water pump impellor at the least. No gas tank either.

He is looking for $500 for his motor, and I told him I was not interested at that price.

Next!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.