Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 CD 17 5.5hp Johnson Recoil

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    joesnuffy
    Participant

On my 1960 Johnson 5.5hp the recoil is having a problem. When I pull the rope the starter pawl (10) is not kicking out. When I tighten the screw (8) some so it kicks out then the rope drags and doesn’t want to retract properly. Is their something special about the washer (7) or some kind of a fix or mod to make it work. I have had these type of starters on other motors but never had this problem. The diagram can be seen by clicking link below.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … rter+Group

Thanks in advance,
      Joe

ps I do have a new rope in it and it retracts very well until I tighten the screw(8) a bit to get the starter pawl to go in and out.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm, I’m trying to remember if screw 8 can be tightened real securely without binding the pulley, I really thought it could be….The nut on top of the housing is just there to be a locknut so screw 8 does not back out….Perhaps I am wrong, others will correct me…
        If I am right, then the spring might need to be lubed slightly (just spray a little oil onto the spring through the holes in the pulley), or the pulley might not be wound tight enough…
        In either event, this is not the cause of the lazy plastic starter pawl. The little wires may need to be replaced to ensure there is a friction fit in the cup groove so the pawl works properly. Do not put grease or oil in the groove, on the wire pieces, or on the plastic pawl…

joesnuffy
        Participant

Thanks,
          I will take a harder look at it today.

Joe

Mumbles
          Participant

There may or may not be an alignment pin or dimple on the end of the spindle, #6. If there is, it has to be aligned with the corresponding alignment hole in the starter housing. Misalignment will cause all sorts of problems. If all is well, the centre screw can be tightened as much as you want.

chinewalker
            Participant

US Member

Make sure the friction spring (#11) is NOT lubricated in the slot it rides in. It’s there to give enough friction to pull on the pawl when you give the rope a pull. If it slides in the slot too easily, it won’t actuate the pawl.

And yes, if you’re tightening the screw to the point where you can’t pull the rope, then you’ve likely got an alignment problem with the pin.

joesnuffy
              Participant

Thanks guys I will take a look at that. I did order the parts today hopefully 2 morrow I can look at it hard. I did work today on my 1956 15hp evinrude (the 15hp has a set of the electronic modules I built in it) getting it ready for my starcraft aluminum fishing boat and put a foot on my pontoon Yamaha 40hp I had re-sealed it and put a new impeller in it getting it ready for the lake.

The 15hp is the one that had water shooting out of the hole (hole used to make sure grommet is in correctly) near the grommet. Everyone told me to change the upper rubber grommet on the copper tube. Turns out someone had put the copper tube in it upside down with the 45 degree guide angle in copper tube up which I am guessing allowed water to shoot out that hole. Never saw that before glad I listened to everyone telling me to change the grommet.

Thanks,
                Joe

joesnuffy
                Participant

Success,

I inspected it this morning and noticed that the washer (7) was missing. I am guessing what that washer does is puts pressure on the starter spindle (6) around its edge to keep it from spinning when you pull the rope. Thinking of what Mumbles said that some of them have a pin in them from the spindle to the recoil frame (1) to keep it from spinning when rope is pulled. I then drilled a small hole in the spindle for a pin and a small hole in the recoil frame right above it and put it all back together with a small pin I made . When I pulled the rope this time the pawl came out as it should but I did have to put marine grease around the slot the starter pawl spring (11) groove (6)so it could spin easily with less friction when rope is pulled.

Its working super fantastic now just waiting on a few more parts now.

Thanks everyone,
                  Joe

ps I did look up that starter spindle (6) and that particular one did not come with a pin looking at pics of that part number on ebay so I am guessing it must be the missing washer but I’m not going to pay 10 bucks for the washer and it may not have worked.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.