Home Forum Ask A Member 1962 Johnson 3hp Seahorse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    campcozyme
    Participant

My husband and I are working on our 1962 Johnson Seahorse 3 hp and my husband was wondering if anyone on the forum would know of a source to purchase piston rings? I ordered some of our other parts from marineengine.com but it appears they don’t have the rings available.
      Thank you in advance for your help.
      Pam

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

and compression numbers are….?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
        Participant

P/N 378412 and ME is showing 10+ in stock at $75 per. A Giggle search brings up different sources with different prices. Not too long ago these were available thru my local OMC/BRP dealer for about twenty bucks each. 😥

https://www.google.ca/search?q=omc+3784 … e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/john … head+Group

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/p … OMC0378412

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Try Dan Gano at 712.336.3297.or website: gano@ganotech.com good guy,fair price.

campcozyme
            Participant

Thank you everyone for the answers. Someone asked what the compression numbers are. Sadly, they are 15 lbs for each piston. It’s been sitting for a long time. My husband sprayed penetrating oil in there and it has been sitting overnight in hopes that if something is stuck it will free up. We are going to check again today (I will keep you all posted). We will then take it apart and check the head gasket. We know 15 lbs is not good but if all was well what compression number would be good?

kevinrude
              Participant
                quote Campcozyme:

Thank you everyone for the answers. Someone asked what the compression numbers are. Sadly, they are 15 lbs for each piston. It’s been sitting for a long time. My husband sprayed penetrating oil in there and it has been sitting overnight in hopes that if something is stuck it will free up. We are going to check again today (I will keep you all posted). We will then take it apart and check the head gasket. We know 15 lbs is not good but if all was well what compression number would be good?

60lb would be about the minimum. Obviously, the bigger the better. Also, if something is stuck and the penetrating oil didn’t work, a mixture of 1/2 transmission fluid and 1/2 paint thinner seems to be a popular way to free things up. I’ve had success with it.

campcozyme
                Participant

Kevinrude,

Thank you for that tip, just talked to my husband and we will give that a try too before we pull it apart.

cajuncook1
                  Participant

Pam, if both cylinders are 15psi each, then the likely culprits is the head gasket. Those head gaskets do not have fire ring protecters. Chances are there is a tear or leak from the head gasket in between both cylinders. The hallmark is low even pressure from both cylinders. Please do not tear the motor down and re-ring until you have seen the head gasket condition. Regardless you will have replace the head gasket.

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

If the head gasket is bad, the head is likely slightly warped – which can cause headgasket breakdown between the two cylinders. To make it flat, spread out emory or wet/dry sandpaper on a solid very-flat surface (I use the flat steel table of an old tablesaw). Then rub the head on it until the sanding marks on the head are uniform, meaning it’s flat. Do not over-torque mounting bolts or warpage may occur again.
                      Dave

Steve D
                      Participant

Maybe these will help…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.