Home Forum Ask A Member 1963 Sportwin – Exhaust Leaking Out of Shift Rod Cover Plate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    h20lew
    Participant

US Member

I bought a 1963 Evinrude 10HP Sportwin parts motor for not much money. Thought I’d fire it up before deciding what to do with it and it ran OK, not great but OK, but I noticed that it was leaking milky exhaust out of the shift rod access cover plate which is a condition I’ve never seen before. Just looking for thoughts on what causes this. Thanks.

Attachments:

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Exhaust gas and unburned fuel/oil mix causes the foamy/milky appearance. You just need a new gasket under the shift plate cover.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

david-bartlett
        Participant

What Bob said!!!

Chris
          Participant

It seems that the slime would go out the path of least resistance. Is there a chance that the lower normal path is blocked? Just doesn’t seem like it would blow through that cover like that.

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

At lower speeds and while the motor is not up to temperature, the entire inside of the housing is covered with that gray slime. If the gasket has a leak or a chunk missing, the exhaust pulses will push it right out and around the cover as well as out the exhaust.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

cajuncook1
              Participant

Agreed, that gasket is toren or missing. Easy to make one with gasket material.

Cheers,
                Cajun

Mumbles
                Participant

Has that motor been sneezing? Someone, please, give it a Kleenex!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.