Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 6hp Chrysler coil

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sbrown21
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I need some info, a friend brought me a model 6603 Chrysler 6hp outboard and asked me if I could help get it going again. I being of a soft heart and weak mind said I would try to get it going. The problem is that one of the coils is bad a WICO X14877 and it is riveted to the plate. Number 1 problem I can’t find a replacement and if I did how would I replace it being that it is attached by rivet’s and not screws. Any solutions ?

bullie
      Participant

I am sure someone that knows for sure will come along soon an give a definitive answer but maybe the coil will slide off the laminations. Usually there is a clip that will have to be straightened that holds it in place.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

More than likely, bullie is correct. The laminations probably cannot be switched side to side or motor to motor. Thus they don’t want you taking them off.

sbrown21
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have slid the coil off of the laminations the laminates look to be 7/16 of a inch square. I was wondering if a OMC coil would work if I slid it off its laminations and put it on the WICO laminates. Would it still work if the plug wire came off the top instead of the bottom of the coil like usual ? (upside down) ?

johng
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OMC coil inside dimension is .440" try to mike the Wico laminate to see if it will fit. Check to see if the Flywheel will hit the coil and or spark wire. I have not worked on a Chrysler outboard yet. Can you rotate the OMC coil a different direction downward ?

The Boat House
              Participant
                quote sbrown21:

I have slid the coil off of the laminations the laminates look to be 7/16 of a inch square. I was wondering if a OMC coil would work if I slid it off its laminations and put it on the WICO laminates. Would it still work if the plug wire came off the top instead of the bottom of the coil like usual ? (upside down) ?

Wont matter. I’ve even cut the sleeve off and soldered
                the plug wire on when there isn’t room. I little dab of goober
                on the solder is helpful in keeping the spark from arking.

amuller
                Participant

I’ve done this with success on Elgin and West Bend motors. If there is corrosion the old coil can be stubborn about coming off–possibly needing to be hacksawed. \ Otherwise it’s mainly a matter of getting the leads dressed so that nothing rubs or shorts. On one I ended up with one plug lead on the bottom and one on the top. Sort of inelegant but that seemed to be the best fit.

sbrown21
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Tubs cut the sleeve off turned it upside down used the coil pin like a sparkplug connector through the side of the plug wire and put a zip tie around the coil to hold in place. I thought I messed up good ohm reading at the plug no spark , had to clean the points 3 times before I got fire. I put the condenser off of the OMC coil with it the old condenser was bad. I hope to start it up in a day or two hope everything works.

The Boat House
                    Participant

Sometimes more than just the contacts need cleaning.
                      Corrosion under the points where they mount to the
                      mag plate can cause the loss of spark. Same with the
                      condenser. Also the wire ends and the hardware where
                      they mount may need a cleaning. If a motor has been
                      sitting for a long time it worth while to remove the
                      points, take them apart, and clean everything to
                      insure a reliable spark.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.