Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 6hp wvb19074a

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    guzzi-john
    Participant

West Bend/Chrysler/Wards Sea King. Swapped chain saw for it. Functional save for gear case. The retaining ring groove for prop shaft bearing/seal housing is gone. I’m thinking of drilling & tapping for a pair of bolts to hold it and sealing w silicone. I’m getting a later 6hp Chrysler (swap for 22 rifle) next week so I’ll have 2 similar. When I opened gear case it was dry save for some petrified substance that looks like plastic but must be water/rust/oil turned solid. After 60 yrs of fiddling w motorcycles now I’m doing snow blowers & outboards for projects.

Attachments:

joesnuffy
      Participant

I don’t think you can drill and tap because their isn’t anything behind it except a spinning gear?

You might be better off trying to find a good used gear case someone here may have one.

I had a 12hp West Bend last year with a similar problem. Like half the case was missing that holds the large circlip but it had enough to hold it. If you really wanted to use that case you might use a stainless hose clamp around the case and run pieces of stainless wire or stainless strap across the rear bearing/seal holder right above the spinning shaft that would keep it from sliding out when you are in reverse. Also you could seal it up with 3M 5200 marine silicone heck that might hold it in there by itself if you don’t use reverse but a person always needs reverse.

You might also jb weld it?? that might hold it then you could always grind it off if you needed back in there.

Those are just band-aid fixes best to find a good used case.

Hope that helps,
        Joe

guzzi-john
        Participant

Thanks Joe, There is a bit of metal around the rear bushing that I’ll drill and tap for some small screws. I get the reversing issue-light throttle backing up! The gears are a bit pitted but not as bad as my Clinton’s. I just put a message on Sea King site asking about gear case interchangeability, do you have info about that? GJ

amuller
          Participant

I’ve seen several of these. Not sure if it happens if the snap ring is in good shape and properly seated in the groove.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

As a result of my ‘updated’ operating system, this is my second try to get this posted. If it continues I will switch to Linux. Apple seems to have taken a great operating system and improved it so it hardly works at all anymore. Anyway, this is what I have for a 1965 Sea King . . . 🙄

guzzi-john
              Participant

Thank you Garry, that is nice to have. Any Idea if any other gear cases will fit on this motor? In the manuals I see 4 different styles so either they were updates or different suppliers to Chrysler. My OB play is snowballing-had call yesterday by a guy wanting to trade 10hp Chrysler for a snowblower from a CL ad I posted for parts motors. Another fellow wants to swap Merc 7.5 for 22 rifle. All these motors and I don’t even have a boat! My son has boat but no motor HMMMM??

guzzi-john
                Participant

Here’s what I’ve done to secure bearing holder in gear case. Drilled and tapped for 10/24 screws and will seal w motorcycle engine case sealer, The gears aren’t as pitted as the Clinton’s were so they should last a while. Maybe Justice Brothers makes gear repair in a can.

guzzi-john
                  Participant

I FOUND A NEW ORING IN MY DRAWER THAT FIT SO NO NEED OF SEALER EXCEPT UNDER THE SCREW HEADS. opps sorry for capx lock

guzzi-john
                    Participant

Getting close to reassembly just need fuel fitting. I need the female quick coupler for tank line. I’ve been reading that people are having trouble with ones that don’t have a pin long enough to open the ball check. Anyone know if they used the same size/part# through the years for West Bend/ Chrysler/ Sea King. Thanks, GJ

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.