Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 Evinrude 80hp – Starter motor gear worn

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tranquihigh
    Participant

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I heard that it is a great site. I have had a 1966 Evinrude for the past eight years and it has been doing great. I just ran into a few problems. The biggest is that the starter gear got worn so that it does not turn the motor any longer. Upon taking apart it looks pretty good but there are shavings and a few teeth look worse than others. Motor is model 80693C and starter part number is Prestolite MGD 4001 12V A10.

I did a search online for the starter and can’t find one. I could not find a replacement armature either. Also, I don’t think it possible but, does anybody know if this could be fixed by aligning the gears better? There seems to be pretty good meat on the gear still, but I did not see a way to adjust.

Is it possible to buy a rebuilt starter or new? If so where? If not does anybody know what I could do to get my motor running again?

I can be reached at sethhg@rcn.com or here … not sure how this works?

attached are a few photos of motor… starter etc.

Thanks much,
      Seth

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

US Member

There is a 379971 armature on e-bay. Trouble is, it is in Australia. There are lots of those motors in bone piles, so there must be a starter closer than that.

It’s hard to believe it is worn that badly without also wearing the mating gear.

It is not adjustable, but worn bushings in the drive assy may be allowing the gears to move apart.

tranquihigh
        Participant

thanks for advice about worn bushings…. the mating gear looked good, but i’ll check again… good to see at least i have one option.

76-j
          Participant

Your parts required, may be available here –

https://www.ebay.ca/str/Pine-Lake-Parts-Inc

PHONE 269 TWO NINE ZERO 73 ONE 7

Nice looking boat and motor; Good Luck getting it running again !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.