Home Forum Ask A Member 1968 18hp vs 1972 25hp johnson

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    outboard315
    Participant

Ok, so I got a 1972 25hp johnson and I am in need of a drive shaft and water tube to convert it back to short shaft by removing the extension. My question is I found a 1968 18hp johnson, will the parts fit?

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

The water tube part numbers are the same for both engines: 313777
        The drive shafts have different original number but both are replaced by part number 325800. So I assume they will interchange.

chris-p
        Participant
          quote lindy46:

The water tube part numbers are the same for both engines: 313777
          The drive shafts have different original number but both are replaced by part number 325800. So I assume they will interchange.

Unfortunately you cannot always work backwards like that. Only go forward with superseding numbers. Just because two parts supersede to the same number doesn’t mean they are the same part. Seems strange to think but its true.

Not to say that’s the case here, I would have to look into it.

johnyrude200
          Participant

driveshafts are interchangable from 1956-1976. Water tubes, once introduced, were interchangable and you should make sure those O-rings are new on them too (for the driveshaft water tube).

Pretty much other than the powerhead most parts from the 18-25hp family are interchangable. Beware of the gearcases though as in the late 60’s they started changing the gearsets to make them more durable. Some gearsets are splined in opposite directions, some use a roller bearing for the forward gear, some do not. Some have a spring loaded clutch dog detent/retainer, some do not.

The most coveted are the 3-lug gearsets, which are fairly rare. If you find one of those, hold onto it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.