Home Forum Ask A Member 1969 Fastwin With A Runny Hose

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

This ’69 Fastwin I just got running is puking what looks like a water and fuel emulsion out of the crankcase drain. After ten or fifteen minutes of run time, there was a fair amount in a glass container I used to catch it and the emulsion was also inside the lower cylinders bypass cover.

So whatcha all think? Time to pull the powerhead and check the condition of the lower crank seal? The leaking top seal was replaced yesterday so maybe the lower one needs attention to? Something else, the guy that gave me this motor said it was seized but I managed to break it free. I thought it might have been tight from sitting but now I’m starting to think it was from water getting into the powerhead.

Here’s a short video of it running. Excuse the poor cinematography but I couldn’t see my cameras screen in the bright sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBMua7G … e=youtu.be

Attachments:

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Looks like you are sucking water into a cylinder. Maybe a bad lower crank seal or bad head gasket.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

โ€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.โ€
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
        Participant

US Member

OR a hole in the inner exhaust cover or blown gasket. Whatever, you are lucky you still have a powerhead. Water in the crankcase usually means rusted / pitted bearings.

Mumbles
          Participant

The lower crank seal looked OK and the new plugs don’t really show any signs of water so now I’m thinking the water has to be coming in thru the exhaust port and going under a piston while it’s at the top of its stroke. The compression numbers are good to so I’m leaning more now towards the exhaust cover or its gaskets. One gasket under the baffle was homemade out of cork material and had just about burned thru. The manifold has been changed to so who knows what’s been done to the rest of the motor. One good thing about pulling the powerhead, I discovered the Welch plug in the head was about ready to fall out.

Attachments:

cajuncook1
            Participant

Jim,

I always love to read your Murdoch Mysteries post! I guess I should call them Mumbles Mysteries….lol. Hope to see your series on Acorn!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers,

Cajun

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm, first, it really does not look like a 69 model, except for the lower motor pan…But yes, that recirc drool looks like water mix. You have excluded the lower seal as a cause, and it doesn’t appear that water is entering the combustion chambers. Someone has been messing with gaskets probably trying to resolve this issue. Unfortuntely, these engines were known for porous/cracked castings/sleeves when exposed to salt water…
                You might want to try pressurizing the cooling system in an effort to pinpoint the problem. The engine sounded kinda rattly also, so I fear there is bearing damage.
                Sure hope I am wrong about all of this and you find something simple/easy to repair….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.