Home Forum Ask A Member 1970 Sears 3hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    crparisi
    Participant

I came across a 1970 3hp sears motor with no spark. Took off the flywheel and decided to try and replace the magneto, coils, etc. It appears that the upper unit was made by Tecumseh. I’m not sure if the replacement parts exist but any suggestions on where to go/parts that could work but might not be the exact replacement???

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

If you can find a model number on the engine, that would be a good
        start, then maybe someone would have a parts manual.
        Photos would help as well.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Have you tried http://www.searspartsdirect.com ? I don’t know if they are still in business. Most of their stores are closed.

An old lawnmower shop may be able to order Tecumseh parts (??)

Also, I’ve had this note in my files since forever. Don’t know if it is still valid: Go to certifiedpartscorp.com then call the number listed on that web site. This place essentially bought all the Eska parts available, and they have just about everything.

kevinrude
          Participant
            quote FrankR:

Have you tried http://www.searspartsdirect.com ? I don’t know if they are still in business. Most of their stores are closed.

An old lawnmower shop may be able to order Tecumseh parts (??)

Also, I’ve had this note in my files since forever. Don’t know if it is still valid: Go to certifiedpartscorp.com then call the number listed on that web site. This place essentially bought all the Eska parts available, and they have just about everything.

Hey Frank, that website still exists:

http://www.certifiedpartscorp.com/Epiph … spx?ID=216

Looked to be mostly modern parts, but in the ignition section, they did have points & condensers for "most" points motors. Click on Tecumseh Power by Lauson, then choose Quick Reference Parts.

amuller
            Participant
              quote crparisi:

I came across a 1970 3hp sears motor with no spark. Took off the flywheel and decided to try and replace the magneto, coils, etc. It appears that the upper unit was made by Tecumseh. I’m not sure if the replacement parts exist but any suggestions on where to go/parts that could work but might not be the exact replacement???

Try cleaning and adjusting the points before spending money on replacement parts. If that doesn’t get you spark, check primary and secondary coil resistance, and check condenser. These old Tecumseh ignitions are closely related to lawn mower ignitions and are usually pretty reliable.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

I just took a look. If you click on "Vintage Parts" under Affiliated Companies, Eska comes up. That’s as far as I went, since I don’t need anything right now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.