Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 Evinrude 9.5hp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am trying to decide which way to go, part out or repair this outboard. It is missing the top cowl and carb cover? It does not run. It has low compression on the top cylinder and water w/compression on the lower cylinder. Most likely needing a head gasket. And it has no spark. Lower unit and prop are ok. Can the head gasket be replaced without removing the lower cowls? I can find the top cowl and carb cover locally. Also the condition of the exhaust boots is not known. What would you do?

rjoynt
      Participant

US Member

How low is the compression? Top the same as the bottom? I find that the hardest thing to do is pronounce a motor as a parts motor. Probably because it is sometimes a challenge to bring it back to life.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

sounds like a nice winter project to me 🙂

carb cover you can make from stainless steel mesh from kitcken ware at dollar store or plastic grid from the hobby store
          and 2 bolts

Cowl you can buy used … look around on classified ads or eBay

carb job and ignition you can fix read Leroys on MQ,s

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm

Headgasket easy to chage (doing mine this month)

expect low compression 65-75 (normal on these) get rid of any water A.S.A. P. like NOW !!!!

exhaust booth condition unknown does not mean it is bad … it is just unknown

conclusion: Don’t give up !!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, I would at least pull the head and have a look before pronouncing it dead….Be sure to fill the cylinders/crankcase with oil like others have said also…
            And yes, you can remove the head without removing the lower cowls, hopefully the head bolts will come out without much of a fight…

Anonymous

Thank you for the responses. I will do an compression test to get the numbers to see how far apart the cylinders are, and then pull the head for a look at the gasket. If both cylinder’s condition look promising, I will pull the flywheel to check and test the magneto parts and then decide what to do repair or part out.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is only missing a few parts, that are easily replaced….Surely seems like it is worth some effort if it looks OK behind the cylinder head….

Anonymous

Today I did a compression test. Top cylinder 35lbs Bottom 65lbs. I then removed the cylinder head to inspect. Cylinder walls are ok and the head is ok. The gasket looks to be the problem. On the bottom cylinder an area of the gasket looks to have been letting water into the cylinder and on the top it looks like it was compression leaking past the fire ring of the gasket. I fixed a problem of the throttle plate not opening very far, by adjusting the throttle shaft lever position to have WOT. And retested for spark. No spark, so next I will pull the flywheel tomorrow to check over the magneto.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

no spark could be just a bad stop switch . try the easy route first

try disconnecting the two wires clips from the kill switch and retest for sparks

if ok then the switch is shorted internally

just take it out open it up and clean the innards (small metallic cup corrodes so just shine it up add a touch of oil remount & reconnect the 2 clips on the side and retest for sparks

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Anonymous

I retested for spark,and got spark on the top cylinder only. Next I pulled the flywheel and the mag plate assm.(fun job on this motor) for testing on the work bench. Coils appear new (China Zhongfad #512154) and have been rubbing on the flywheel. They were not adjusted for proper clearances. Condensers also appear new. Points are used.I used the Merc O Tronic to test, coils ok, points ok, condensers ok. I found plug wire spike connector on the end of the bottom cyl . to be rusted. Clipped off 1/4 inch of the wire and buffed the rust off and reinstalled the spike and plug boot. Then reassembled the mag. and intalled mag. and flywheel. adjusted coil air gap. Checked point gap and reset bottom cyl. points had only .010 , set to .020 . Retested for spark and have spark now on both cyls.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.