Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 Sears 7hp fuel problems

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bluehaze
    Participant

I had the same problem on a Sears 3.5hp of about the same year. I’ve also had this same problem with other Tecumseh equipment.
      Your carb looks like mine, and don’t know if it’s set up the same way, but it’s worth a look.

The inlet needle seat on mine is rubber, and the needle would stick tight blocking fuel. It’s a little bit of a pain to remove. I made a little hook to push through the hole and pull it out. They do make a special tool to remove and insert it. The seat goes in one way, I believe the flat side faces the needle, but don’t quite remember….
      I can’t make out the part on the diagram .

Also, replace the diaphragm ( looks like a little rubber hot dog) and clean the passages around it. Pop out the screen and clean there too. Inspect or replace the check valve "flaps" too.

You may be able to get a complete kit on ebay by searching the Tecumseh engine number, or the outboard’s model number.

Here’s some seats on ebay, showing what they look like :
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Replacem … Swy~BaCHCt

And the special tool :
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Tecumseh-6 … SwGzhaJseh

I hope this helps.
      Again, not sure if your carb is the same, so disregard if it isn’t.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member
        quote BlueHaze:

Also, replace the diaphragm ( looks like a little rubber hot dog) and clean the passages around it. Pop out the screen and clean there too. Inspect or replace the check valve “flaps” too.

If I’m thinking about the same type of diaphragm, (orange rubber tube thingy) they’re supposed to be "clocked"
        or orientated a certain way to work correctly. I learned that working on an Eska
        a couple of years ago.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.