Home Forum Ask A Member 1977 Evinrude 25 wiring harness

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    speedlinerbu
    Participant

US Member

A friend gave me his dad’s 1977 electric-start Evinrude 25 which cosmetically looks good and structurally seems sound.
      The wiring however is a mass and a mess of cracked and corroded wires. Half of the harness was
      available at a very high price and the other half wasn’t even available. What to do? Please share suggestions.
      Thank you.

chinewalker
      Participant

US Member

Does it have a black plug? I may have one somewhere if it’s the same one…

speedlinerbu
        Participant

US Member

yes. it has a large black plug. and a smaller black plug.

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

Not sure what the smaller black plug thing is. Are you referring to the circuit breaker? If so, that should be part of the main harness with the large black plug. In any case, I will see what I’ve got…

speedlinerbu
            Participant

US Member

Thanks for looking.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Would this help? – – – 🙂

speedlinerbu
                Participant

US Member

It might indeed. Thank you, Garry.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The wiring harness’ for these years is a bit of a unique design, and can be tough to find….If the original pieces can’t be found, you can always used both harnesses from a red plug engine, the engine end can be adapted to fit fairly easily….

johnyrude200
                    Participant

Red plug harness gives you the option to use new control boxes with key push choke, fast idle lever, kill lanyard, etc.

HOWEVER, it’s hit or miss if the single lever box will let you get full F-N-R shifting.

The metal shift lever style motors need a long sweep to get into gear. The "newer" plastic shift lever motors dont need as much sweep at the control box and work with the white/black control boxes. Beware of this compatibility issue!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.