Home Forum Ask A Member 1977 Johnson 2 hp Piston ring gap

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I have temporarily misplaced my ’77 2 hp manual. Anyone know the ring end gap for .030 oversize rings?

I want to thank Dan A. in Tennessee for arranging the boring of the block to .030 over by his friend Jason White at:
      Jay’s Block Shop in Sparta,TN He did a great job!
      Thanks to Dan and Jason!
      Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

The Boat House
      Participant

Hastings recommends a MINIMUM of .0035
        gap per inch of cylinder diameter.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jim
          Sorry, don’t have a 1977 manual. But, the 1979 manual prescribes the ring end gap to be: .015" min-.025" max
          The 1972 manual prescribes: .005" min-.015" max.
          So, I guess we better find the correct 1977 manual to be sure.
          I am assuming you are using OMC piston and rings. If not, I would look for the end gap recommendation from the manufacturer of the parts you are using….

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

Fleetwin-I am using OMC .030 piston and rings. Guess i’ll have to start digging through a large stack of assortment of boxes till i find the manual. Thought one of us would have the info more handy. Hope the info is in the manual covering .030 ring gap.Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

Mumbles
            Participant

I found the specs for your motor and for the ring gap it says 0.025 max and 0.015 minimum. New rings these days don’t usually need filing to fit and their gap should be towards the lower spec right out of the package.

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant

Thanks for all of your responses.
                Jim PSB

Robbie Robertson

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

I have a 1974 manual that say’s .005 -.015 is acceptable. If that helps any…

Mumbles
                  Participant

Jerry’s numbers seem more reasonable. I double checked my source and that’s what it said, 15 to 25 but doesn’t seem right. It could have been a typo. If you have a dealer nearby, they should be able to confirm the proper gap size for you.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The ring end gap spec changed over the years, have found the tight gap spec in the early 70s manuals, the relaxed spec in the 79 manual…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.