Home Forum Ask A Member 1978 Artic Spirit 20HP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    shane-r13
    Participant

I have the above motor, which has electric start. While the motor is running and the battery connected will it provide a charge to the battery? Or do i have to run another set of wires from say like the rectifier or something? Inside the cowling there is 2 leads with bullet connectors that come off the rectifier i believe but they don’t attach to anything.

The following images are what i have from the manual on the electrical system.

Thanks!

rmhxruss
      Participant

Looks like Suzuki parts to me.

shane-r13
        Participant

Motor was made by Suzuki, but imported by Arctic cat until Arctic cat went bankrupt, then Suzuki began selling in North America.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

I’ll go out on a limb, and say since you have a rectifier, you should have a charging capability. I would think that the wires should be already connected inside the harness. Does you rectifier have a red (positive) ”hot” wire connected to it? If so, it should charge while running… probably a very small output though. Maybe the extra leads are an AC lighting option? I’ve never seen one of those engines so I guess I’m not much help..

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have zero Suzuki experience but something isn’t making sense to me. You say you have two bullet connectors in the cowl, not connected to anything. Yet in the diagram, the rectifier has three wires that seem to plug into harness 18-19. That would make sense, if, at the end of 18-19, there is a plastic plug, into which should be plugged leads coming from the stator. Then the one wire with the bullet connector coming out of 18-19, hopefully red or yellow, should plug into the fuse assembly, which would then continue to harmess 10, through the key and onto the battery. What doesn’t make any sense is that harness 10 is "harness, starter motor." A 20 amp fuse is too light for that. Also, are your vacant bullets in the cowl coming from the engine harness or the external harness? Do you even HAVE an external harness? Where do those two wires originate? What you have in the picture and what you say you have, seems to either be mismatched or there is more harness on the engine that doesn’t show up in the parts break down. At any rate, I am with Jerry in that if you have a stator wire plugged into 18-19, then that one female bullet coming out of 18-19 should be a low level charge wire….

Long live American manufacturing!

shane-r13
              Participant

Thanks for the input guys. To be honest I havent looked at the motor since it went into storage in the fall. Hard to remember exactly where the wires are I just know they are inside the cowl, plus I have my regular battery terminal leads. I’ll try to get picture of where the wires come and go from today.

shane-r13
                Participant

These are some photos I took of the actual motor today. I don’t know if it will help anyone help me. The 2 loose butt connectors go into the large wire that looks like it has electrical tape on it.

shane-r13
                  Participant

No electronic guru’s?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.