Home Forum Ask A Member 1978 Johnson 2 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rickinfarmington
    Participant

Have a 2 hp Johnson that I just can not get to idle. It has 90 psi compression, runs well at half to full throttle. Ran it on a boat for a half hour at half through full throttle. Went through carb several times. Out of the test tank, it idles right down to a tick over, but in the tank it dies.

shane-r13
      Participant

90 is a bit low for these. They like over 100 psi generally. Hows your head gasket? I have the same issue with my ’75. It has 105 psi, new carb kit, new head gasket, new ignition and still wont idle right down in tank or on boat. I personally think mine maybe the lowing bearing seal maybe toast, could possibly be the same issue for you?

rickinfarmington
        Participant

I do know one thing and that is I am spending way too much time on this engine. Have heard a number of members saying these little motors never did idle worth a darn.

lloyd
          Participant

US Member

I have both an Evinrude and Johnson version of that motor that ran and idled well. They need about 120 psi to run well as I recall.

reivertom
            Participant

US Member

I think they must be hit or miss on these little buggers.. I have one with around 95 psi that idles just fine. I didn’t expect it to run as well as it does when I ran a compression check.. I don’t know why, but I am just happy it does. I never expected it to idle like a 3hp twin. I think the old twins just spoiled everybody..

donsmarine
              Participant

tank to small, try it with the prop off in tank. tank not allowing enough fresh air.to much water in tank,motor to deep in water. just guessing.

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

If you are using a compression gauge with a checkvalve at the gauge end of the hose, you have higher compression then you are reading because the volume of space in the hose is significant and will lower the reading with that little cylinder. I have one of these 2 HP Johnsons and it idles great
                  Dave

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

In my book the best single they ever built was the 1948 through 1951 Sportsman., , , 😎

rickinfarmington
                    Participant

OK, So I just pulled the prop off and the little engine runs at tick over speed, in the tank. Perhaps I could chase down a lower pitch prop to make up for a possible low compression. Will also look into re-ringing it.

Just for grins, I may try running a heavy weight oil in the mix, with the theory that it will help with the compression.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well…It’s kind of an all on nothing deal for these little engines….Either they idle pretty darn nice, or they won’t idle at all regardless of the normal carb/ignition repairs…
                        90PSI may be low for compression, but as others have said, the small combustion chamber tends to create inaccurate compression gage readings…
                        When was the last time this thing ran/idled OK? Has it been sitting for a long time since it last ran/idled OK? Did you lend it out, has it been overheated?
                        Generally speaking, when these things are "worn out", they are hard starting, won’t idle, and are low on WOT power. But, on the other hand, I don’t want to condemn this powerhead just because it won’t idle right…There may be a fuel/ignition problem.
                        I guess I would try a different compression gage first…The long hose on many testers can be enough to lower the compression readings. If you confirm the 90 PSI readings as accurate, you may want to pull off the head and exhaust cover (provided this is not a salt water engine) to have a look at the piston skirt/rings/cylinder wall. Trying to find a lower pitch prop to solve this issue is probably not going to work out, there is no smaller pitch prop available. But, on the other hand, be sure no one has substituted a larger pitch prop for a 3-4hp engine, which may indeed be overloading the engine….
                        Generally speaking, trying to "rering" these engines is not an effective repair, the piston skirts/cylinder walls are usually out of round requiring boring the cylinder oversize along with oversize piston and rings. I don’t recommend doing this major rebuild on this little powerhead.
                        The lower bearing/seal could indeed be leaking causing a crankcase leak, but this would not explain the lower compression reading….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.